Need opinions on a garage build/purchase

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by luvtohunt, Feb 15, 2017.

1. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I'm in the market for a garage and have narrowed down to two options. I have done some construction stuff in the past and I am confident I can put a pole barn style garage up with metal siding and roof and a single 10 foot garage door but have been out of the field so long I am not up on pricing. I have also looked at the better built barn websites at their on site builds. I'm looking for something in about 18 by 25 on a pad that I will have poured and finish myself. I guess bottom line is which is the cheapest/best bang for my buck in ur fellas opinions/experience??

2. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Foooter, 2 ft wall build off that,

3. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I built my own barn a couple years back, then moved to NC and the new place came with a nice insulated metal shed.

My most important lessons learned are
    A. However big you "think" you need/want - multiply by 50% or more. It is hard to have too much space

B. Same applies with height. 10 or 12 foot walls are much superior to 8 foot walls.

C. Make sure you run enough Amps to the box. New barn can run the furnace, welder, and lights - all while keeping the beer cold in the fridge. Old barn could only do 2 of those things at a time.

D. If I had it all over to do on my build, I would have hired a crew to put on the roof. Walls are easy, but the roof got progressively more difficult the further I got.

E. Put in a corner drain and at least a single cold water line. Stepping outside to drain the vein is no problem - but when the demand for #2 arises it sucks trying to get out of dirty boots, jeans, etc.... all while making the walk from barn to house.

F. All that being said, my father is having a crew out up his next garage rather than he and my brothers doing it. By the time you figure the cost of taking vacation days off work, and other expenses - it just seemed like a better deal to have a crew do it and warranty their work - and be done in a few days.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I was in the same predicament about two years ago, I started by framing a 24X24 building, but after I framed it, I realized it was not big enough, and added 10 ft more off one side, then I poured the concrete using the bottom 2x6 as the concrete form and poured to the top of that, I checked metal prices at what few local metal suppliers we have in Pulaski such as Tin Man, Mac Metal, and Todd Truss and eventually after pricing everything including the trim I went to Dutchmans Metal in Casey Co, I saved a bunch by going there, but after filling the original 24X34 with a boat and atv's, lawn mower, etc. I added another 16 ft off the other side to park my wife's 4Runner in.
    I spent about $6,000 total including concrete, I can give you a number to a local guy in Eubank that poured my concrete, I'd hire him again to do any concrete work for me,
    At the same time that I was building, my neighbor had one built, he built a 32X32 and his was turn key, but he spent $28,000 on his, IMHO he got ripped off but hey it's his money and he was satisfied.

If you have atv's, boat, lawn mowers, etc. then build it bigger than what you think you'll need, they take up a lot of space.

5. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    $6,000 for everything including the 2nd addition? If so, you did great.

6. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I used yellow pine 2x6 for framing and lathing, and treated 5x5 posts
    the trusses are built with 2x4's but I ordered them and that's the only 2x4's anywhere, I hardly cut any material.

But building materials have increased quite a bit in the last 2 1/2 years since I built it.

I made several phone calls and did a lot of price quoting on materials before I bought anything.