morels/dry land fish

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by carpkabob, Feb 3, 2011.

1. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    anyone hunt for these?? i do every year and come up empty handed, except for one year they seemed to be every where.

2. bowcrazy3

bowcrazy3 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2009
    Lot's of us dry land fishermen on here. Always a few threads and pictures that run long. Just a little early.

3. kdfwr918`

kdfwr918` Fawn

Oct 22, 2010
    about the only thing I hunt for anymore.....love them

4. Cornmonkey

Cornmonkey 8 pointer

May 17, 2009
    east ky.
    I,am waiting for the bounty and can taste them thang,s now, lots of drool.

5. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    Saw a group of 30+ birds struttin' near Franklin this morning and got to thinking about fresh turkey and fried dry land fish. Mouth is still watering

6. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    i know it is a little early but when do you usually find them time frame wise

7. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    I have found them a couples weeks before turkey season usually first of April. I usually find them near cedars and populars where there isnt alot of leaves on the ground. Anyone got any other good areas to find them?

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Wish I knew. I don't know if its the soil or what, but in NKY I've only ever found a few at a time and small at that. Not like the fields of them that were 6-8 inches tall that we used to find in Mich as a kid.

9. Cornmonkey

Cornmonkey 8 pointer

May 17, 2009
    east ky.
    On river banks some find them early around here because it's the first to green up and warm up. Give it a try around 1st April.

10. EAST KY ENCORE

EAST KY ENCORE 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2006
    Hills of Eastern Ky
    What do they look like ?? :)

11. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I've given up on finding them. I've spent probably 4-5 days a year covering a 600 acre farm and never find more than 8-10. I found around 50-60 in one spot 12 yrs or so ago so I got hooked. But I've never found them like that again. The thicket where the gold mine was got blown/broke down in the ice storm many years ago and I've never found them there again. Now I'm lucky to find 3-4 in one spot.

12. Some years are much better than others , I usually find them turkey scouting and then during the season while hunting. 2009 was a very good year , we eat so many got tired of them . Its good to carry your morels in a mesh sack ,instead of plastic , this helps spread the spores . At least thats what I have been told

13. Triton

Triton 10 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Highway to HELL
    And plant the roots of the ones you pick as well. Again just always what i've heard. We've had several slow years over the past few. 7 or so years ago we found a couple thousand. Been lucky to find 300 a season over the past few.

14. jeff

jeff 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2004
    E-Town ky
    How To Pick a Morel

Try to never"pull" a morel from the ground! You'll stand a chance of destroying the mycelium that way and you'll only get about 1/4 inch more of the stem anyway. Always "CUT" it off with a small knife (or pinch)! Pinching works well with black morels. (Pinch, cock the plant a bit, then pinch again. Works like a charm with black morels.)

Pinching DOES NOT work very well with white / yellow morels though. They are meatier and stronger. Best to cut these. If you pull a morel out with the roots you stand a chance of it never re-growing, as you have just disturbed the mycelium. Anyway, that is the part of the plant system under the ground that produces the actual morel and is very delicate and easy to kill. So please . . . . "CUT"--- NOT PULL!

http://www.michiganmorels.com/morels1.shtml

15. Triton

Triton 10 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Highway to HELL
    Yea that's what I really ment I just chose the wrong words.

16. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I really find all that hard to believe. The edible mushroom is merely a fruiting body..picking one is no different than "deadheading" a flower..

17. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    no...there is a difference. The mycelium is very delicate and it doesn't take much to harm the "system". When you find a bunch in one spot, it's mostly from 1 single mycelium system so if you hurt it one little spot, it could damage the whole area.

18. KyBoyInAk

KyBoyInAk Fawn

Oct 27, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Here in Alaska people hit them hard in burn areas. The season is a little later in the year also as I'm sure you can imagine. I've found one up here while bear hunting. Puffballs do great however and are not hard to find at all. We picked a batch every day while camping last year off the Denali Highway. Ate them with fresh caught (the only way to eat them) Greyling cooked in foil over camp fire. Dang. Buttery.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  19. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    If you don't like morels, go back North.