more bear sightings in barren county

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Jun 23, 2013.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    There were 3 bear sightings near Cave City this week. One was by a friend of mine. He called the police, and they came to investigate. While they were there, the bear came back out in the open and several people saw it. I guess they are migrating westward. I bet they will like Mammoth Cave.

2. cummins

cummins 6 pointer

Feb 10, 2013
    wayne co
    WGI_1012.jpg Yeah there headed that way and u dont want them if u feed deer when they find your bait they stay till its all gone.. got pics of one stayed 6hrs b4 he/she left they are several here in wayne co not to far from cave city..And they love to tear your trail cam off the tree..

3. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Its only a matter of time untill they make out farther and farther. I live near the Grove so not far at all...

4. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I've been hearing a lot about the sightings over the last three weeks. They start at the Goodnight community and travel west towards Cave City. First I've heard about the police seeing and confirming it.

5. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    I live just outside of Glasgow ( north side ) and my neighbor saw a small one crossing 31-E . I've been looking for sign , but have not seen any. Hey Brutus, have you seen any?? I figure if they can make it to the park, they might do well. ( if their not already there ).

6. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Not seen anything in my woods yet, but theres always hope. Dont know what Ill do if I see one early some morning walkin in.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    bear seen near Rigdon's taxidermy between Cave City and Park City. The confirmed by police was closer to Cave City. They will love Mammoth Cave, and prosper. Guess it is inevitable.

8. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    This will give back country campin at Mammoth a new twist.

9. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    Yes, a new twist and perhaps some added challenges on how to best store food at night. Do you hang your food in a bear bag away from the immediate camp site you are using? I haven't yet but will take it under consideration now. I usually leave all food items in my kayak, sealed in dry bags. That's the way the raccoons like it. Gives 'em practice trying to open my dry bags with their tiny hands.

10. jdattilo

jdattilo 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2005
    Louisville
    Traveling up I-65 about 10 days ago, two buddies in the back of the truck swear they saw a bear in a field near the Cave City exit ...

11. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Got to have the gals to have a good time. I'm sure the bears venturing off for greener pastures are males. They may enjoy Mammoth Cave, plenty of food, safety and denning sites, but with no girls to sniff around, they'll just keep heading westward.

12. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    I hope they do make it Mammoth Cave ( if they haven't already )

13. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I dread the day that i walk up on a bear in the dark going to my deerstand!

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Not confirmed, but lady I work with that lives near Cave City said they drugged and relocated a bear near Cave City last week. There will be a breeding population in Mammoth Cave sooner than later, IMHO.

15. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    me too! If i know they are in my area, i would be fine, but to be walking a path in jefferson county and come across a bear?.....

16. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Might as well go ahead and relocate problem bears in mammoth cave. Hope the NPS gets out ahead of them somewhat and rethinks garbage cans and dumpsters and wahtnot around the park.

17. richardc2850

richardc2850 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2011
    redneck, ky
    I saw one a couple weeks ago on the way to tn. on left of i-65 south just before horse cave, its a big open field, always see deer and turkey there we I go past.

18. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    The bad part of them moving into the park is the hippie tree huggers wanting to feed them.

19. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Guess I'm still waiting on photos or KDFWR to confirm the sightings. I originally thought they had been confirmed by the opening post, but I personally hope everyone has imagined them. When I was 16 I once saw what I thought could've been a bear going into the park. But I'm pretty sure I didn't. Just for the fact I had no tangible proof. God and his son Jesus is the only thing I believe in without having seen photos or proof!

20. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I haven't heard of anything confirmed near Mammoth Cave, it is possible though. It will be several years before females expand that far so don't expect a breeding population for many years. Young males get their butts whipped and head out to avoid the big boars, then return to the bear range. A 2 year old male could show up anywhere in KY in June, but will not stay outside the rut where other bears don't exist.