Michigan resident looking for info on 2017 KY spring hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by jem44357, Jan 17, 2017.

1. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    My Dad comes down from MI to hunt turkeys with me every year. I was born and raised in Pinconning, which is just north of Bay City. You can buy your Hunting License and Turkey permit over the counter, no application. You can purchase it online if you wish. If your buddy has access to any private ground I would try that first, like most have said on here, public land is hit pretty hard. Not saying you cant take turkeys on the WMA's, but you are going to have lots of competition most likely. I live in Breckinridge County, about 30 minutes from Yellowbank WMA. I have hunted and trapped there for years. There are good populations of turkeys there, but again, lots of company as well. Also, unless you are in the bottoms, you are going to experience some elevation. I can promise you it wont be like what you hunt in MI. I took 10 pounds off my Dad in one week of hunting just from walking up and down hills and hollers. He is 70 now, likes to sit and wait them out since he cant move like he used to. I can give you some suggestions on Yellowbank if you PM me... Spring turkey season in KY is a glorious time to be in the woods! I think you will enjoy our beautiful scenery, the hospitality and the turkey hunting. Best of luck to you!!!! Oh yeah, bring some Sawyers tick repellent!!!!!!!

2. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Sounds good! I am almost at the point of calling it good to go. Just waiting on some family issues to clear my head so I can focus on what is really important... Gobble Gobble BOOM! ;)

3. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    I second JD's directing you to LBL. Absolutely awesome place to hunt, a cant miss!