Metal deer tags?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by reivertom, May 3, 2012.

1. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Back when I was a kid and just starting to hunt, deer were few and far between. It wasn't unusual to have a left over tag at the end of the season. The tags back then were made of metal and permanently snapped together when you tagged your deer. I started keeping my old tags and snapped them around the horns of an old antique 4 point rack I had on my bedroom wall. Am I the only one or do some of you guys still have some around?

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    How I long for those days to return. Not only permanent tags, but check stations. It would sure cut back on the number of deer not being registered. As it is now, unless you have a deer commercially processed, or mounted, checking the deer in is not necessary. I'd bet at least 15% of harvested deer go un-reported.

3. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Dammit man!!!! Telecheck is the most advanced and accurate check system ever invented. How dare you mention the good old check stations of the past. I got more enjoyment of sitting at a local check station talking hunting stories and seeing what came in about as much as I did hunting in the old days.

4. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    Yeah, I remember those days. I've got a set of antlers in the garage that has a metal tag on them. You are correct on there not being many deer back then. Just getting to see a deer back then was an accomplishment.

5. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I remember those tags,they only had them the first few years I hunted as far as I remember but I seen a many of them from my dads day. He still has a couple laying around somewhere. I to miss the check stations,they were just another level of excitement.

6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Crap, I spend more time in the woods now than I did then, but I don't kill any more deer. Hell, to be honest, when I was a teen, I sat in the stand and couldn't wait to go to the local check station and see what came in. I was never lucky enough to hunt a place where the thought of a good buck was more than a "chance" encounter. I'll always cherish those memories of haning with dad and the crew at the check in station.

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    No one could beat the metal tags. I'm mean....poachers would shake from fear by just having to handle one. Paper tags just turned everyone into an outlaw. :rolleyes:

8. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Me either. I loved going to the check station. The little old store we went to, you could go in, get you a big old bolonga sandwich, bag of tater chips and a pop so cold you had to wear gloves to drink it, and set there listening to all the hunting adventures, and how everybody missed the big one, which about 75 percent of where lies, and you knew it but didn't say a word...LOL

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Not only that, but back in the 70's, we got up early enough to meet at the local gas stop, shoot the crap and eat breakfast before every hunt. Most of the guys smoked. We'd chew the fat, eat some biscuits and gravy, down some coffee, and then head out. Thousand wonders anyone ever shot a deer. This went on bow and gun season from Oct 1 through the end of season. The crowd dwindled all year as people filled their tags. I cringe now thinking about all the "rules" we broke. Man, I'll always cherish these memories. I'll never forget them.

10. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    A few deer threads popping up I love it. Hope I can get out a couple times this year.

11. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Crane tags were metal this year.

12. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    Check stations (as much as I enjoyed them myself) were NOT the "end all be all",

IF someone won't use telecheck do you Really Think they're going to drive around looking for an open check station? NOT going to happen, nice fantasy and with gas what it costs now , well ........ that is all it will ever really be...

13. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I also remember those metal tags. Also remember when they had yellow plastic Deer tags, during the late '70's to early 1980's.

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I have one still around the antlers of my first ten point. First deer I had mounted. The metal tags were history by the time I kiiled my first ten pointer with a bow two years later. Jimmie

15. raidergson

raidergson 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    Ditto on that! If memory serves my right, I think that the last year for check stations were in the '98-'99 season. I can remember going to the one in Monterey off of 127 in Owen to check in my buck around this time. As soon as we could drive, my cousin, brother, and I would hit all the local stations on Sat. after we got back to camp after hunting . Checking out check stations during this period of our lives seemed to be just as important as the other the deer camp rituals. In places where there is high hunter density, certain stations were like a tailgating equivalent for deer hunting.

16. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    IIRC, my first tag was the last year they made the ones with the "ball" on the end. I still have one of the "flat" metal tags put away, experimenting with the shelf-life of tag soup!:D

17. johnky

johnky 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2011
    Loretto ky
    I didn't start deer hunting till 91.I think then they where like a sticker you peel the back off.And as for check station if i kill a Buck i still take it to Howardtown and weight it and sit and talk to all the hunters and put my name and deer weight on a board at store. I do miss the days of checking your deer at check stations.

18. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I think theres couple of the ball end metal tags on racks of deer I killed long ago...hanging in my garage.

These are some of the flat metal tags I saved . Some were tag soup...some(cards) were successful seasons from the past.

[​IMG]

19. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I disagree. If you got caught with a deer and it didn't have a tag on it, you were soup.

20. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    And what were the odds of getting caught? Not very high. You can't make honest people out of dishonest ones. If you want to cheat the system you will do it. A metal tag or writing on your license makes no difference.