looking for a deer processor

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by groove, Aug 9, 2013.

1. groove

groove Fawn

Jan 24, 2012
    Does anyone know of a deer processor that is open on Sundays? Needs to be somewhere close to Lexington, Madison co. Rockcastle co. Pulaski co. Areas. Or maybe a way to find a list of of butchers, and address.

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
  3. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Jerry Chandlers in Winchester, not too far from Lexington.

4. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Second vote for Markwells. If you like spicey food, he makes some fine breakfast sausage and jalapeno summer sausage.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    There is one up in Crab Orchard. I cannot think of his name, Amish guy.

6. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    J&V is the one near crab orchard but he isn't open on Sundays.

7. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I am going to have to make the trip this year. I have yet to try a breakfast sausage that was better than "meh" excluding one batch of my own. I've made bout 6 batches and they were just ok except for the venison gut sausage that I made and smoked one time. It was great but a lot of work....made 42 lbs of it.

the old days 001.jpg

8. keith meador

I will tell you this. If you don't really enjoy eating hot, sit and talk with him before you commit. He makes some very good sausage, and if you ask for hot, you better understand what he calls hot. It's nothing I can't handle, but the family didn't like the heat.

I use the hot sausage in baked beans with sweet baby rays, mustard, brown sugar and jalapenos. It's simple, and most folks seem to like it.

9. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    surely he has samples doesn't he? We like hot in my household. Jalapenos are candy for me and my son and the wife likes them too. Daughter may not like but she's gaining ground on heat tolerance. How much per lb?

10. keith meador

I don't recall prices, but it didn't seem out of line. I had some regular sausage, hot sausage, summer sausage with hot pepper jack and pepper, summer sausage with jalapeno and hot pepperjack and pepper made last year. I basically told him everything that wouldn't make a steak or chop to grind into equal parts of everything listed above.

Yes, he has samples. I suggest calling him now, and paying a visit to sample his goods. Take a drink along with you, you may need it.

11. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I thought some one had opened season early!!:highly_amused:

12. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    that sounds good. Thanks Keith

13. keith meador

What? Did it close?:highly_amused:

14. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

Everywhere I've checked on sausage and snack sticks you really don't get your deer meat back. Its a collection of everybody who wants sausage. So the one Joe Bob gut shot and halfway field dressed gets lumped in with mine.
    No.thank.you!

15. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    If you go to J&V he will tell you that to have sausage or any special stuff made, you need at least 18 lbs ( I think that's right) of meat because that is what a batch is and he doesn't mix your meat with anyone elses. H&M in Manchester do excellent work as well but they aren't open on Sundays either.