LBL selected for a cougar study

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by billproxs, Jan 10, 2010.

1. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    http://www.easterncougar.org/newltr_pdf/ecfnew_jan07w.pdf

A few years ago,Trail cameras were set up in Land between the lakes, trying to confirm cougars.

Do you know if they got any cougar pictures?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Dude, did you read the memo? Since you are posting up something from THREE years ago, why not just post up the results of the survey.....Surely in THREE years they could have gathered at least 200,000 trail cam pics of cougars running crazy within the confines of the rivers:rolleyes:

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

They are waisting trheir time unless they know more about whats going on up there than I do. Cougars are not using normal trails. I found the tracks by accident as have some others I have talked with. They spend more time avoiding the coyotes than they do travleing. Jimmie

4. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    That release is from 2007 and they never got a single picture of a cougar.

5. GrandSlammer

GrandSlammer 8 pointer

May 14, 2009
    Right where I wanna be!
    Come on now Bill...that article is 3 years old!!!

6. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    He wants it to be true so bad he cannot stand it! Get hold of yourself son!!!!

7. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE

I see your point, but I bet they did not get any pictures of any 170 inch or bigger bucks either. But we all know they live in LBL.

If there were only 5 or 6 cougar in the place, or roaming in and out of the place, the odds of a few trail cams getting photos would be pretty rare.

Even if you put up 100 trail cams, they would only cover 100 trails, so really by them only putting up a few cameras, the odds of them getting any pictures is very rare.

There may not be any cougar on lbl, but then again anything in nature is possible, who knows, if their are cougar in Kentucky, they are probably like 200 inch bucks, most people never see them and they are secretive.

I know a guy in Illinois who has hunted, trapped, and fished for over 40 years, he has never seen a cougar, he used to laugh when people would report them in illinois, but a few years ago a wild cougar was confirmed 2 counties west of where he lives and hunts.

8. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    WOW...Guess some things just keep coming back like a bad case of heartburn:p:p

9. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    I see that this article was from 2007, but I think they only had the trail cameras out during the summer and spring.

I read on another website that they were going to set up trail cameras each spring and summer from 2007 untill around 2011.

So really the cameras were only up for a few months each year.

10. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I am not an antler worshiper, so I don't have the numbers but I would wager one fine Shlitz beer against whatever you are drinking that there have been 170" deer taken on LBL, with a frequency surpassing your cougar kills.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Lots of luck with that... (not with finding a cougar)... but leaving cameras out for more than one day in LBL. :D

Might be the reason they have'nt got any pics.:eek:

12. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE

There may not be any cougar in lbl or in kentucky, who knows.

Yes you are right, there have been several deer taken at lbl that score 170 or higher.

However, I talked to staff at mamouth cave national park a few months ago, they said that dnr staff at mamouth cave had reported seeing cougar inside the park.

The woman I was talking to said, they could of been released pets, or WILD COUGARS that are roaming into kentucky looking for new habitat.

Another of her ideas was that a wild remenant population could have survived in the appalachian mountains, and over time their numbers have grown, and they may be expanding their range.

13. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I think they may have stumbled into some one's "patch" and smoked a little while wondering around in there.;)

14. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    billproxs
    Fawn

I would love to see everything in this guys favorites on his PC.
    Bet it would blow our minds!!!:D

15. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I would bet "Big Bucks" and "Cougars"....lol...amongst other things:eek:

16. Cantmisum

Cantmisum 8 pointer

new sighting

predator1,

I was talking to one of my neighbors,while eating lunch in SummerShade yesterday.During our conversation about the Big Grey Blue coyote that we have both seen the last few years out in his pasture. He mentions that he has seen a big Black Panther out back of his place. His wife also said that something big long and black jump the entire road in front of her car one night around Marrowbone.
    From the impression that I get from him. I see no reason for him to be telling me a story . He doesn't hunt and does not come across, to me as the kind of person that would say something just for the sake of conversation.
    I wont mention his name but being that you are from around this neck of the woods you my very well be acquainted with him.

17. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    All of life, and I'm older than dirt, I've heard these "big cat" stories. I'm certain, that cougars have in the past, and will continue in the future, to show up in areas, in which they are not a native species. That means, some have almost assuredly been in Kentucky, of that, I have no doubt. But, if they had took up a permanant residence here, then there would be cougars getting shot, getting run over, and leaving positive evidence that they are here. So far, I don't think that has been the case.

18. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    I hate to say this to burst any bubbles, but some yrs back me and duckster2 were drawn to hunt lbl. And i was sitting on a buck only tag, and watched a doe travel down the hill to my right. A few seconds later watched a cougar following her. I remember how shook up i was, having never seen one before. I sat there with a 45 colt and a 300 weatherby hoping that it would just keep going. I wanted to kill it cause it was the most beautiful thing that i had ever seen, but thought i would end up in the pokie if i had pulled the trigger, the cougar was only about 30 yards away. I'll never forget it.

19. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Copperhead Road

Pokie or no pokie if I am 30 yards away from a cougar, its gonna get shot.

20. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    I guess i just didnt realize how big they were, kinda scaredd the s!#t out of me, it just kinda showed up, it looked at me and went on trailing the doe, but made my heart race quite a bit.