LBL Kentucky Quota Hunt Photos.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billproxs, Nov 22, 2010.

1. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Have a good Hunting Season.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. turkeyfan

turkeyfan 10 pointer

Dec 1, 2004
    Richmond, KY
    nice pictures, thanks for sharing

3. WHITETAIL FEVER

WHITETAIL FEVER Spike

Aug 24, 2010
    Fleming County
    We had 4 in our group hunting area 1, saw a lot of deer, didnt even really get to hunt sat morning because fog was so thick you could only ee 30 yds. 3 out of 4 of us killed bucks, all kinda small 4, 7, 8 pt young deer, but we did get to help them manage and took home some meat! All in all saw a lot of deer and had a good time (my 5th time there and only 2nd buck I have taken there).

4. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    No offense and you are well within your rights, but I don't think shooting small bucks is really part of their management plan.

http://www.lbl.org/DeerHuntingGuide.html

5. II RiNgEyE II

II RiNgEyE II 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2009
    Brindle Ridge, KY
    I killed a 3.5 year old 10 point down there this weekend in area 8.

6. WHITETAIL FEVER

WHITETAIL FEVER Spike

Aug 24, 2010
    Fleming County
    No offense taken, because i feel like I have earned whatever I take down there in the amount of time over the years Ive spent scouting and hunting empty handed there but When you kill 2 deer that are 2.5 yrs old one four point that is very small and a 7 pt maybe smaller I believe you are helping the heard because those two deer would never amount to anything and those genes would need to come out if it were my farm.

7. Land Between the Lakes

Land Between the Lakes Fawn

Oct 28, 2009
    Hunt Summary for LBL's Kentucky Quota Hunt November 20-21
    A total of 191 deer were checked in at LBL check stations during the hunt, including 147 bucks and 44 does.
    Some of the largest deer harvested can be seen on the summary board at: http://lblhunts.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album16&id=img_4652
    Area 8 hunters had the most success, despite the fact that only muzzleloading weapons were allowed to be used during this hunt.
    As a comparison, 185 deer were harvested during this hunt last year, 176 during 2008, and 129 during 2007.

8. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Wow.

I wasn't expecting the # to be anywhere near that out of whack.

Are you guys considering any changes to bring that number back in line with your QDM objective?

9. Land Between the Lakes

Land Between the Lakes Fawn

Oct 28, 2009
    Things have been getting that way gradually over the past several years-- Everyone wants a buck and refuses to shoot does, either because of the larger amount of meat on a fork-horn or due to an outdated opinion of deer management needs. It's occurring in both state sections of LBL.
    Part of what happens is that two-day quota hunts with 'bonus' deer cause the following to occur: Day 1= wait for a nice buck, unless the weather is getting bad, then shoot any buck. Day 2= if it's brown, it's down.
    LBL may consider having a late-season doe-only gun hunt, but we are not sure how many people might actually show up for it!
    All permits this time were either sex, and many people are seeing huge numbers of does.... but most would rather shoot a spike than a doe. That doesn't help much with trying to grow bigger deer by controlling population numbers and letting the little guys walk; however, this is public land, and LBL needs to try to manage deer for the 'average' hunter, not just the 'trophy' hunters.-- Therein lies the obscure definition of the phrase "Quality Deer Management"-- there appears to be some discrepancy as to what that definition means to different people. Some think it means a 'quality' hunt is produced by having a large enough deer herd to contained a few big bucks, and a mix of a lot of others for the 'average' hunter and a few 'trophy' hunters to be fairly satisfied with their hunting experience.... Others see it as simply doing what is needed to grow larger bucks (such as antler restrictions, increased doe harvests, removal of long-tined spikes, etc).
    A couple of years ago, LBL management explored the possibility of trying to get some sort of moderate antler width restrictions enacted, but couldn't get enough support to enact it-- that would have helped force people to either take more does or wait for an adult buck. It would be nice to see something like that, but it seems that will be more difficult to make happen than managers had hoped.

10. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    We try to do our part during bow season to help with your doe population. :D

11. BIGBADDAD

BIGBADDAD 10 pointer

Tried to help out myself but shot a spike.

12. Joe Bryan

Joe Bryan 8 pointer

Jul 4, 2006
    Nelson County
    They could start by allowing additional doe tags to bowhunters. It use to be you could kill a buck and doe on each side. I have been fortunate to fill my buck tags the last couple of years. I even doubled last year on the second day of a 4 day hunt. I was camp cook the other two days. I purchase a Tn. license every year along with my Ky sportsman. If they are only going to allow one buck and doe per LBL then they should honor either license and not treat them as two seperate state public grounds.

13. slipped cork

slipped cork 8 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Borderline Insanity, KY
    From my 32 yrs of coming to LBL with bow or gun I have noticed that in the late 80s deer were abundant. The past few years not so anymore. While I did gun hunt last weekend I found plenty of big buck sign and I never saw a deer while hunting. Thats probally my fault but I rode around after dark for about 90 miles in all, never saw a deer! Thats unusual for LBL especally that I did that for 4 nights. I wasnt looking into fields, just driving the trace and jenny ridge, places like that. I have never killed a doe there, I just look at it as a bonus big buck hunt. I know they are there but not like in the past.

14. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Every "average hunter" I know would like to shoot a big buck. LBL could be something special and it was in the past compared to the rest of the state. My opinion is that the rest of the state has caught up and in some areas, especially the counties right around LBL, have surpassed it in terms of deer numbers and quality. Hopefully the one buck rule will help with that.

15. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    LBL is still a bonus buck since it is federal land.

16. Lester7009

Lester7009 Fawn

May 24, 2010
    Nicholasville
    It would be a good approach if necessary to allow either two does or one buck on tags for purpose of management. It would be worth to drive up to LBL to harvest two does or one Buck. Either or if Doe population is a problem. Weather this time for rifle hunt was not very good. Feel this should be for either Rifle or Bow. Could be a drawn bonus for over populated zones in LBL. Also would be nice if every hunter was given a hunting number in an orange color sign and had to be placed on road or field where your are hunting. I feel walk hunting should be out lawed do to safety. Hunting number signs could be dropped off when leaving area. Sometimes you don’t know where or if a hunter is set up in tree blind until you walk up on them scouting. This would make hunting safer and more fun knowing you have picked out your spot and could now enjoy your hunt with out some body just showing up walking looking for deer at prime time hunting. This can be very disappointing. Posting a assigned number given and restrictions on distance between hunters and stopping walk hunters would be a safer and pleasurable experience

17. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Well there you go then. Spikes are on the menu!

18. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Still hunting is a deadly tactic if done properly. Aimlessly walking around not so much.