Latest Project Rifle Complete (with pics)

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by headoftheholler, Nov 4, 2012.

1. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    After my Tikka mosin was finished I got the bug bad to do another sporter. After doing some research I decided to start buying up some of the most accurate milsurps for projects. I have a Swedish mauser, a SAKO mosin and this Swiss K31 to keep me busy through the winter. Just finished the Swiss today, it is a Swiss K31 straight pull made in 1955 by SIG. It shoots the 7.5x55 swiss cartridge and these are considered in the top 3 of most accurate milsurps. Like the proverbial swiss watch, the K31 is very well made and overtly complicated. The straight pull action is beyond awesome, follow up shots are lightning quick. I again went with a Boyds stock in pepper laminate, this one was only semi inlet and it gave me fits for a week or so before I got it to snap in right. The swiss are gun nuts and their government has no problem with giving every man and women of age a select fire rifle to take home. A company called Swiss products makes an excellent clamp on scope mount that is rock solid and also permits usage of the iron sights, which I might add are unique in that the front sight is adjustable by a sliding mechanism. I went again with the Warne mounts and for a scope I used a vintage Bushnell that has the BL (Bausch and Lomb) stamping when they were both the same company. Lenses are clear and crisp, fixed 4 power and has an appropriate post reticle. Can't wait to sight this one in and see what potential it has. The pics:
    [​IMG]

Adjustible front sight:
    [​IMG]

Swiss Crest:

[​IMG]

Note scope is mounted to allow iron sights to still be used:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Never seen a straight pull action before. Nice work. Your going to be a pro by end of this winter.

3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    that action confuses me. so its a semi auto? never seen anything like it...

4. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    It is a bolt action rifle, not semi, unlike a standard bolt action where the action of lifting the bolt up unlocks the lugs a straight pull does the same but in a straight back motion. Inside the bolt on a straight pull it rotates when you pull the bolt back and forth. As you can imagine it provides for very very fast reloading, you shoot, you pull straight back then push straight forward.

5. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    does the spent cartridge eject straight up?

6. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    It does, hence the side mount for the scope.

7. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    HH,

You are doing some great stuff with the old guns..............nice collection.

8. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    Good looking rifle! You did a great job.

9. 454Casull

454Casull Spike

Oct 20, 2006
    Woodford County
    K31

Once you shoot the K31, it won't be the only one you own. They are great rifles, I have several. I have one with the Swiss Products scope mount w/an old Weaver K4 scope that I use as my hunting rifle. I will have to find pictures and post them. Yours looks nice with the gray lam, I have considered the Boyds stocks also, but thought about going with the walnut.
    K31 001.jpg
    This one I pieced together, the action, bolt and barrel match, magazine doesn't. I purchased the stock, cut it back and added the walnut foretip. Installed the mount and scope.
    K31 002.jpg
    This is my best looking one, 1954 w/walnut stock in very good condition.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  10. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Very nice, I used the same mount. Mine will out shoot everything I own but my Swedish mauser and my Sako M39. The boyds stocks in the K31 are only semi inlet, took a week to get it to fit right.