Kentucky Smallmouth streams

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by drakeshooter, Mar 28, 2008.

1. I remember reading this article in print a couple years ago. I'm planning a trip to a Kentucky smallie stream soon. I've caught a lot of Kentucky Lake smallies, but haven't fished many streams for 'em. Just a few smallies and mostly Kentuckys on the Clarks' River in Calloway County. Anybody have any advice?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    Drake shooter,

I'd highly reccomend the licking river or paintlick creek if you don't mind traveling a few hours east
  3. What about the Logan County portion of the Gasper? Is it easy to fish? Places that are public fishing? Is it any good? Help!
  4. bowhunter08

bowhunter08 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2007
    Paris, Ky
    I would agree. The licking river has some fishing. Just depends on what part of the licking you go to. I am not for sure how the drought last year affected the fish though.
  5. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Gun Powder Creek
    12 Mile Creek
    The creek that run thru Demosville, Ky to the river, forgot the name
    Eagle Creek
  6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    There are lots of smaller creeks and streams around bowling green that have fair numbers of smallmouths. Most of them are not listed on the smallmouth stream listing though. I catch fair numbers of smallies and rock and KY bass using tiny brush hogs texas rigged in the creeks around here.
  7. teamfinesse

teamfinesse Fawn

Jul 16, 2005
    Maysville, Ky
    You guys just hit my topic. I love find smal creeks around home no one else knows about and just having a field day with smallmouth, largemouth, rock bass, warmouth, chubs, and even got on some pretty good size hybrid stripers one day. Anyways, I don't really know any major smallmouth creeks, I just wade fish a bunch of small ones around home (Maysville, Ky). Anyways, some baits I love are a 3 inch berkley power craw, black and red flake, with chartreuse pinchers. This is rigged on a 1/0 offset hook and a 1/16th ounce sinker. This little rig on ultralight spinning with 6 lb. test absolutely works awesome. Also I use a 1/16th ounce white rooster tail. Through my years of experience the rooster tail in that size and color is the absolute best bait all around. I've caught everything from tiny largemouth to a 6 lb largemouth, channel cats, stripers, bluegill, and just everything. But anyways I know Licking River has good smallmouth in it but I have never really fished it. Anyone know much about it as far as where to fish or what to use for smallies? But besides that I don;t really know places unles you want to come to maysville lol. Anyways good luck.
  8. bowhunter08

bowhunter08 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2007
    Paris, Ky

I have always had better luck for smallies in the south fork of the licking. There are a few good spots to hit. Robinson, lair (spelling) are the ones that come to my mind.
  9. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    the part of the state i'm in here has some great small mouth fishing.....

kinney creek which is in lewis county is excellent for crappie, smallies, large mouth, and muskie....... hard to beat it
    tygart creek is also great!
    for wade fishing smallies the tribs to those streams are hard to beat...
    the licking river is good as well....
  10. ryan hickey

ryan hickey 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2005
    elkhorn creek is really nice....
  11. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    So is Silver Creek in Madison County!
  12. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004

Have you seen any of them furry critters in any of them creeks?Last time i went to a major creek in BG i saw two in 4hrs. of wading.
  13. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    furry critters? Like musk rats or beavers? I haven't gotten to go yet this year but may make some time this week.