Kansas turkey hunt rio

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by MoheganSneak, Jan 30, 2017.

1. MoheganSneak

MoheganSneak 6 pointer

Oct 1, 2007
    Lexchesterdonville-ish
    Me, my dad and a couple buddies are currently planning a trip to hunt Rio's in Kansas in May.

Has anyone hunted the rios or in Kansas. Starting to get pretty pumped about it. Looking at a semi guided 4 night/ 3 day hunt. Opinions? Tips? Advice?

2. childersb24

childersb24 Spike

Mar 25, 2010
    Me and 2 of my buddies went to Nabraska 2 springs ago after some Merriums. We hunted with Hidden Valley Outfitters semi guided. He took us to the farm showed us around and the rest was up to you. I wish we would have went later in April because they were still bunched up really bad. Flocks of 100 or more. Hunting was really tough. I highly recommend going a day or two early and scout also. I killed a hybrid which is a eastern and merrium mix and my buddy killed a Jake merrium and a eastern. I hope the Kansas rio's read the script better than the merriums did. Good luck to you keep us updated on how it goes.

3. Randy1974

Randy1974 Fawn

Apr 12, 2016
    I was thinking about going on a hunt someday how much did that hunt cost

4. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    I can't give you any info on the Rio situation because they are in the western part of the state but everyone says the Eastern population is down big time. We took a DIY trip last spring to southeastern Kansas and got the same bad reports everywhere.

5. childersb24

childersb24 Spike

Mar 25, 2010
    We each paid 1200 just to the guide. He provided a house to stay in. I had about 1700 in it by the time I bought tags,hunting permit, gas, and food. Had a blast just should have waited later in the season to go. I'm ready to go back somewhere. I'll probably go hunt on public land next time.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  6. pope and young

pope and young 8 pointer

Mar 4, 2008
    South Central KY
    I went last year and had a blast, going back again this year. I went to Kansas in May and killed two Rio's the first day. Then headed from there to South Dakota, and killed a Merriam there. It did take a few days to figure out where they were at. After that, I drove to Nebraska and barely heard one gobble. The only part I would change is the timing. I feel like I went to late and they had been hunted hard. But, the good part of hunting late was that I pretty much had the place to myself, and the weather was great. I have been warned by several people that going early, you risk cold weather and possibly snow.
    Good luck to you guys.

7. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Kansas GF website has a printable turkey atlas showing walk in areas that are open to public. Huge acreages leased from farmers and rancher and available to hunt first come first served. Ive been there several times and killed birds all over the state and my advice is to do some serious homework with hatch reports for targeted areas before you go. They have had some bad hatches recently I think. Rios are from western 2/3 of state for the most part. Once you target May you are unlikely to hit public area birds that have not been messed with. Early season they are pretty vulnerable. fwiw