Is this a beech nut pod?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bow tek, Sep 19, 2012.

1. bow tek

bow tek 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Henderson, Ky
    I'm 42 yrs old been hunting all my life. I guess I've just never run into one of these trees before. I think it's a beech tree any help would be appreciated. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348068464.943112.jpg

2. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    Reminds me of a chesnut

3. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Chestnut....

4. bow tek

bow tek 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Henderson, Ky
    Thanks I looked it up and that's what it is

5. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    Dont ever go stomping around there without shoes on! Back in the day an old lady had a chesnut tree in her yard. Worst mistake I ever made was walking through her yard barefoot lol

6. bow tek

bow tek 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Henderson, Ky
    I have holes in my hands now from opening them up. I couldn't imagine stepping on one. Lol

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Can anybody tell if that is an old American Chestnut or is a Chinese Chestnut? There are some American Chestnuts that appear to be blight resistant and are bearing, and there are some smaller saplings that will bear a year or two before the blight knocks them back down.

A beechnut is about the size of a pencil eraser and has a smooth green shell, btw.

8. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    The bur looks like a Chinese because it appears coarse. An American bur is more dense almost like hair. I think some Americans live longer because a virus infects the fungus. The fungus is weakened to the point that the tree can fend it off for a longer period of time.

9. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    Does any one know if deer like Chinese chest nut's? I have a couple of tree's I am getting ready to plant and need to know where I should put them at.

10. bow tek

bow tek 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Henderson, Ky
    We planted a field in a tree program over 20 yrs ago. I don't remember what all we planted. The field grew up real thick and the trees kinda stunted, but it made some of the best deer habitat you can have. This is the first time I have seen this tree produce nuts. Its right on a dirt path. I guess we planted it i do not see how it could of come up on it's own.

11. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    How to tell the Difference Between American and Chinese Chestnuts

by John Peterson and Jeff Kirwan, Virginia Tech Department of Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation

American chestnut

(Castanea dentata)
    Chinese chestnut

(Castanea mollissima)

Leaves:

American leaves are more narrow.
    American has longer, more arching teeth.
    Chinese has fine hair on the lower surface and on the petiole.

Fruit:

Both are contained in burs.
    American is 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter.
    Chinese is 1 to 1 1/4 inches in diameter.

Twig:

American chestnut-brown in color and hairless.
    Chinese is gray-brown in color and is covered with fine fuzz, especially near the tip.

Bark:

Smooth and chestnut-brown in color when young, later shallowly fissured into flat ridges.
    Chinese is gray-brown to brown, rapidly becoming furrowed, but without distinguishable patterns.

Form:

American tends to be more upright.
    Chinese tends to be more spreading.

Of course, a hybrid between American and Chinese chestnuts DOES exist. According to Lucille Griffin with the American Chestnut Cooperators' Foundation, "Hybrid chestnuts from American mother trees, strongly resemble American chestnuts in every way and can be distinguished only by microscopic examination of leaf hairs."

12. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 10 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    Yes deer like them.One of my friends killed a 160+ buck with a recurve that was eating under one in 2010.

13. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    Thanks I thought they would just wanted to make sure. I guess they will be out in the field then.

14. Teleman2012

Teleman2012 Fawn

Jul 23, 2012
    Jackhorn, Ky
    Right on.
    The american chestnut burs aren't as stout and are easier on the hands, lol

15. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

We find a few American Chestnut trees on our farm every year, but they all die within a couple years. We have never had one produce nuts either. The big tree in Adair Co that is apparently resistant, I wonder where they plant all those seedlings that they gather?

16. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I know I like Chinese Chestnuts!