is riding in the back of a truck legal?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by corndogggy, Apr 8, 2011.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Took my kids and my wife riding around in the back of my new truck last night on some little used gravel roads. Found myself keeping the back window open in case I needed to tell them to duck and hide, and making them get in the cab for a very short ride on the highway back to the house. But, now that I think about it and do research, it appears that there is no Kentucky law against riding in the bed of a pickup truck.

Can anybody confirm that I will or will not get in trouble for letting them ride back there at reasonably slow speeds?

2. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

It's illegal, and even if it's not technically outlawed, they'd still get you for no seat belt.

It's one of those practices that has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

It's weird how things change. My wife is worried that somebody will see her and think she's a "horrible mother" if she has to drive someplace without the kid's safety seats. Just 30 years ago, folks didn't even think about seat belts, let alone safety seats.

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I think the seatbelt law applies here. At any rate, I never let my kids ride back there unless it is from the backyard to the front, and I am uneasy even then.

I know, I know, when I was a kid I logged a lot of miles back there too, but one of the worst accidents I ever responded to involved an old pickup truck with a drunk dad driving and 4 kids in the back.

4. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Loved riding in the back. Not a fan of doing it on a gravel road though on account of the dust.

5. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

I think the only way you can do it legally is if you have Farm Tags. Rules,rules,rules......

6. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    My brother and I rode on lawn chairs in the back of my uncle's pickup down I-65 from Louisville to Tennessee back in the early 80's. Can't even imagine someone doing that today.

7. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    How do you get a farm tag? I just bought a small farm too.

8. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Near forty years ago now, when my dad got back from Vietnam, he was stationed for a bit in Colorado. As an almost one year old, I rode all the way there on a piece of plywood that covered all the clothes and suitcases in the back seat of the car. It sat level with the platform behind the back seat and was held in place by the front seat headrest. Mom says she put blankets on the wood, put me up there with a few toys and some cheerios and I was a happy camper the entire roadtrip

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Just go to the county clerks office and get them. Got em' myself..The are renewed in march I believe, so nows a good time to do it.

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ive road many a mile in the back, ill still do it on the farm but thats about it..If you were to let someone (let alone a kid) ride in the back now you would be branded the worst kind of criminal and likely be treated like PABLO ESCOBAR..
    You'd probably be better off selling drugs
    Then they would pity you..:rolleyes:

11. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Had a buddy went down to florida with a guy. That guy ended up staying for a week longer and my buddy had to get back. He ended up meeting with some other guys he knew who were down on spring break. They drove down in a regular cab s-10. He rode back in the bed of the truck. Said he slept most of the way.

12. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

Just go to Clerks Office like the man said. They are good from March until March of the next year and no difference in cost.

ATTENTION*****ATTENTION***** When I went to get my tags this year I took the little card they send you in the mail with me, it tells the breakout of what you pay in taxes, you know.....School Tax....Library Tax, blah ,blah,blah. It also tells you the value of your truck that they base the tax on. So I go walking in and I look at the total cost and I see it has gone up about $10 over last year, not much but enough to get me a little p.o.ed, I wait in line and when it is my turn I give the lady all the stuff and she says, "Do you want to pay the full amount?" I had never been ask this question so I said what is the deal, can we pay installments or something? She then showed me on the card that there was a $10 VOLUNTARY contribution added on to the taxes for the "Agriculturel Fund".
    I ask what the fund was for and she said that they had been asking Frankfort for an explanation and the best response the Clerk had got back was that it would be a Discretionary Fund. She said they never would tell them any specifics of what it would be used for. I told her no thank you and ask if they were telling everyone about it and she said they were in Bourbon County but that some Counties were not. Now to me any Discretionary Fund is code for "Slush Fund" which I have no use for at all.

So just a little heads up on this guys, sorry it is to late for some of you since you probably have your tags already, but for anyone getting them throughout the rest of the year be sure and ask about this. Typical of Frankfort to try and get a few bucks from you without you knowing about it.:mad:

13. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I read some Farm Bureau literature on the matter and it said that the seatbelt exemption does not apply if you're not engaged in farming activities at the time, even if you have a farm tag. So joyriding on the game reserve doesn't really count. The exemption was apparently made for old and big huge trucks that don't really have seatbelts. I might call the sheriff's office or something.

14. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I once rode from Iowa to Kentucky in the back of my dad's pickup truck.

15. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

I am on my way to get feed, Officer.........I like wearin' camo all the time!:cool:

16. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    My grandfather lives in Clearwater Florida, we used to visit twice a year. My sister and I always rode in the back of the truck, but it had a campershell on it.

One time I was riding in the back of the same truck but without a shell. My dad stopped in front of the mailbox, told me to get the mail, but was too far away. I stretched out to get it, then after I got it I was composing myself while sitting on the edge of the tailgate, and he took off unexpectedly. I fell completely out of the truck, right on top of my head.

17. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Well, that certainly clears things up a bit.:eek:

18. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
  19. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I don't think it is illegal. The seatbelt law requires you to wear belts when they are available. In most 60s cars, for instance, you would be exempt.
    The whole law is stupid when you consider the law allowing a person to ride mootorcycles without a helmet.

20. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    You are right about the Farm Bureau. The real exemption is a bunch of farm hands riding in the back of the pickup to the field and back NOT a bunch of kids riding around town in the back of the truck.

No seat belt and kids under 18 in back of a truck is big serious trouble.