Illegal to eat crop damaging deer

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by greenskeeter, Mar 20, 2008.

1. greenskeeter

greenskeeter Cyber-Hunter

Nov 3, 2002
    Bardstown, KY, USA.
  2. UKturkeyhunter

UKturkeyhunter 6 pointer

Nov 5, 2006
    Marceline, MO
    Same law here in missouri, farmers can shoot deer on a crop damage permit, but have to leave them lay. The idea (I think) is that the carcasses will keep other deer out of the fields. I have seen neighbors shooting crop damaging deer out of the same fields as the dead ones, so this theory probably is not right.

I absolutely understand the damage deer can do to crops, but it does seem like a waste to HAVE to leave them lay so you are not breaking the law.

3. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    sounds like nothing but waste to me..........

4. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    I knew a guy in Crofton a few years back that had terrible crop damage from deer every year and I mean terrible. At first he shot to kill the deer on the spot but started gut shooting them so they would leave the field before dying because the additional crop damage from coyotes and buzzards was worse than the damage from the deer. He said people were constantly asking him for venison but the rules said he had to leave the deer laying where they fell. That is a terrible waste. BTW, he let anyone and everyone deer hunt on his land.

5. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    Unless things have changed that info is incorrect
    one farm i hunted the landowner was handed 30 doe permits
    (crop damage tags) as long as they was checked in it was all legal

6. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Maybe there are two types of permits. The farm next to mine usually gets crop damage tags that can only be used during deer season and the deer must be checked. The guy in Crofton shot them in the summer in the mid 80's as did a former co-worker on his farm in the early 90's and they both said they weren't allowed to move the carcasses. I think they were supposed to call and report the number of deer shot to the CO.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Its about the nuisance deer, that are shot without tags. A farmer used to have to leave them lay where they fell, or drag them out of the field, to rot.

8. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Why dont someone come pick them up and give them to poor people or somthin?

9. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    some years back it used to be hard to beat the buzzards to a downed deer
    now the buzzards have to race to beat the mexicans to it..

10. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    ok?????

I just think it's total non-sense to shoot an animal and not make every attempt to see that meat isn't wasted.. I know if it were in my garden and I had the proper tag it would go to feed my family, if not, that animal would die without reason and that don't sit well with me.

11. thunderchicken09

Feb 4, 2008
    [​IMG]
    some years back it used to be hard to beat the buzzards to a downed deer
    now the buzzards have to race to beat the mexicans to it..

Racist

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    It was the law.:rolleyes: Shoot'em, and leave'um lay, summer deer have an "off taste", anyway..............or so I've been told:D

13. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    hmm... Yea.. i bet you wouldn't know a thing about that would you barney lol............

deer destroy our gardens every year, but i've never killed a deer out of it... last year we didn't get any tomatoes whatsoever, they eat up the beans, kicked holes in all the cantelopes, and the tomatoes, well they topped the plants and turned them into shrubs, and when a tomatoe would form they'd bite it off, chew it up, and spit it out, it looke d like someone spilt relish all over the plants lol...

we set out 140 tomatoe plants, and with God as my witness, we didn't get one tomatoe! lol

14. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004

Thats just plain ignorant! lol

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    They were'nt spitin them out, they were gobblin them up so fast, the crumbs were fallin out of the corner of their mouth!
    You would think again, about not shooting them, if you were paying the bills and, feeding your family, with that garden. Don't get me wrong.......I love the deer, but when they cost you thousands, what do you do?

16. thunderchicken09

Feb 4, 2008
    Dru dat. You should shoot at them not hit them to scare them. I dont think thats illeagle as long as you dont hit em.

17. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004

YEAH DRU DAT

18. chucky

chucky 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2007
    lexington
    We hunted a farm one time last year. The farmer gave us 5 tags and told us to go gettum. They figured the deer was costing them $12,000.00- $15,000.00 a year in corn damages. We went down on a sat. morn. to bow hunt and at lunch we started reading the back of the tags. When you shoot a deer you are to leave it in the field. If you shoot a buck you had to call a CO. The tags were for recording all the deer taken. We took the tags back to him and left. We found out from his neighbor that he gets about 75 tags a year and invites anybody he can to come down to hunt but he does not tell them you can't keep what you kill.

19. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    There are two types of tags for problem deer--destruction permits and control permits. One is used outside of seasons and one during season.

Nothing in the regs say you can't eat the deer if you want.

301 KAR 2:176. Deer control tags.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/kar/301/002/176.htm

20. turkeytalker

turkeytalker Banned

Nov 3, 2004

Nice post Multi, kinda wonderin how all those Amish got fat:).