I suspect an undercover agent just tried to buy a gun from me

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Manzanita, May 7, 2011.

1. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    I have a handgun for sale on a classifieds website. Been there for a while. Got a call today from a guy saying he wanted to buy it. Mentioned that he was coming up from Paris (Tennessee - short drive south of here) and where did I li...

At that point I interrupted him and asked him if he was a Kentucky resident. He said Tennessee. Told him I couldn't sell it to him. At this point he got a little pushy and said that law only applied to FFLs and he ought to know because he was an FFL holder and blahblahblah. Then...

Me: "So, you're an FFL holder?" (may have a sale yet)
    Him: "No. I used to be."
    Me: "Sorry, can't sell to you." (bummed. looks like no sale)
    Him: "Look, where did you get this information that you, as a private individual, can't sell a gun to someone out of state?"
    Me: "Well... everywhere. But, specifically, the ATF website and the US Code 922 something or other."
    Him: "Well, I'm telling you that you can sell to me."
    Me: "That'll be great. Of course, I'll have to verify that I can legally do that before we meet."
    Him: "Just never mind. I don't want to buy your gun anyway if you're just going to give me a hard time about it."

He wasn't through but I said, "See ya later," and hung up.

He sounded almost convincing enough that I thought he might have been right. I checked the ATF website and, well, he was wrong. Former FFL holder... right. Probably current ATF agent.

For review: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Y'all be careful selling your guns. Don't get stung.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    If he was ATF... it sounds like he made it a little too easy to fall into his trap. Its one thing to call and ask, but another to lie about laws to get you to break the law.

3. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    crap, now your on their grid

4. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Three words:
    Ruby Ridge
    Waco
    Gunrunner

Well, okay, four words.

Do I seriously think it was an ATF agent? Most likely not. Probably just some goober wanting to buy a gun thinking he could con me into selling him mine (illegally). Still... it has happened before.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Does that mean y'all aren't going to be moving in next door? :(

6. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    What you sellin? Something fun?

7. Salty

Salty 8 pointer

Mar 21, 2002
    Winchester, KY
    I used to work in a gun shop. A man & woman came in & she wanted to by a handgun. She said she brought him along for advice (which is OK). She made her selection and filled out the proper 4473 & paid. While I was putting tne gun in the box and wrapping it up, her phone rang & she stepped outside to take the call. He noted she was just out the front door & picked up the package (gun) and started to leave. I stopped him & told him he couldn't take it since he didn't fill out the form. He left the gun on the counter & went outside & they talked for about 15 minutes & she finally came in for the gun. About a week later a friend who worked in another store had the same thing happen, but the guy left with the gun and the business was in jeporady of lossing their FFL (didn't though). I have no doubt it was the same couple.

8. dbd870

dbd870 6 pointer

Jun 12, 2009
    Indiana
    Many years ago I had a gun I was looking to sell while walking the isles at a gun show. Had a man come up to me and ask if I would sell it without doing any paperwork. (back then you had to transfer a handgun through a FFL) I had to decline - I believed (and still do) this guy was an agent, just had this feeling........

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  9. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    My spidey sense was really tingling during my phone call with the guy. Later, I dismissed it as paranoia. Dunno...

10. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Better safe than sorry. You don't want to be a trophy on some young gung ho ATF agent's wall.

11. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Stupid law. Why does what state they live in have any bearing on what I can and can't sell to another private party?

The government should stay well out of private party transactions with the not selling to a minor or felon caveats.