Hunter shoots herself with crossbow, dies

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by pentail, Sep 25, 2012.

1. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Is this a first for the state of KY?

http://www.lex18.com/news/police-say-woman-dies-after-accidentally-shooting-herself-with-crossbow/

A woman in Owen County is dead after she was apparently accidentally shot with a crossbow.

The incident happened Sunday. Police say Yvetta Reffitt, 59, of Martin, KY, was hunting on a farm in Owen County when the incident occurred. Reffitt had been dropped off to hunt by herself at 6:45 a.m. When Reffitt did not return for lunch, members of her hunting group began looking for her and found her at approximately 11:30 a.m. Reffitt was deceased when she was found.

Preliminary investigation points to the crossbow shot, along with pre-existing medical conditions, as the causes of Reffitt's death.

Police continue to investigate

2. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Along with pre- existing conditions?

3. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Yeah really??

4. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    One of those things that people on blood thinners probably don't think about.....

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i'd put money on it that she was climbing in or out of a stand with the crossbow loaded.

6. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I feel sorry for the family... but where is it crossbow season in KY right now?

7. ConfederateKnowHow

ConfederateKnowHow 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2011
    Shelby Co. Kentucky
    If you have a disability, you can hunt with a crossbow during archery season.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

With permit everyplace.

Your probably right on the blood thinners. I take Pradaxa and even a small scratch bleeds forever. I can't imagine a broadhead cut to a artery.

9. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

Forgot about that.

10. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    It's unfortunate, but it happens EVERY year. How many times do we hear about falling from a stand, or a loaded gun going off? I, like everyone else, give condolences to the family. But this has to serve some greater purpose. At the very least, hunter-safety should be learned. Don't load a gun or bow unless you're ready to shoot. Don't walk or climb with the dangerous end pointed at you. I can only imagine how the family feels. But I would argue, however tragic, 99.9% of all hunting related accidents are avoidable.

11. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    That really stinks. I myself am on Plavix and aspirin and you never think about what can happen. My condolences to her family and friends.

12. stevemeadows

stevemeadows 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2003
    Ky, USA.
    Prayers go out to the family!

13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Shooting one's self with a crossbow seems very hard to do. I could see someone cocking it for her since she probably couldn't pull it back but why put the bolt in?

Prayers for all involved regardless.

14. rather-b-huntn

rather-b-huntn 10 pointer

Only Martin I know of isn't anywhere near Owen county. Is there more than one?

15. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    A lot of us think about it all the time.
    It also seems to depend on where I get cut. I have cut myself at work on the hand and it bled like normal. Then like a couple weeks ago I was eating a popcicle with the kiddo before bed and had a splinter on the stick make a 8th or even a 16th" cut on my lip. Woke up at 3am to a half soaked pillow that night, thought I had it stopped, but it was still going when I woke up to go hunting the next morning. Finally got it stopped but all I could think was, I don't wanna go to the er for one dang stich to get this to stop.WTH?
    I do use a broadhead wrench (most of the time) now. It sucks to have to worry about stupid stuff like a tiny cut but I know for a fact it beats the alternative. S

16. browningshutr

browningshutr 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2009
    Northern Ky
    No Martin around Owen County, but we get a lot of people here to hunt from all over the state.
    I'm surprised that I didn't hear of this happening. It's been quiet around here.
    So sorry for her family!

17. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 10 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    So sad..prayers out to the family

18. NitroHunter

NitroHunter 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2002
    Jeremiah, Kentucky.
    It said on the news she was from Martin ( Floyd co. I think) and hunting in Owen County.

19. bnt5

bnt5 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    Burlington KY
    Thats sad. I am still trying to get my head around how someone would shoot themselves with a crossbow? The only thing I can think of is a shot to the leg, hitting a femoral artery and preexisting conditions would be deadly. Stay safe out there guys, watch where you shoot and whats beyond it.