How to charge a 4 wheeler battery?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYHUNTER14, Apr 18, 2007.

1. KYHUNTER14

KYHUNTER14 10 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Ashland, KY
    My dad has a Honda Rancher that has sat in his garage through winter. The 4 wheeler started up fine a few weeks ago. It was ridden as recently as April 2. I guess the cold spell we had last week froze it up or whatever and the battery is dead now. He also says he may have left the key in the ignition, though not turned on. My question is, how do you charge this 4 wheeler battery? I am totally ignorant when it comes to 4 wheelers, so whatever you guys say sounds good to me. Lastly, the 4 wheeler pull starts fine, the push button start is just dead.

Thanks all.

2. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    hook it to a charger with a 2 ampere rating or less and let it charge to full charge or overnight. anything more than 2 amps will burn up battery. tr

3. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    If it will pull start, then running it should charge the battery. It sounds like the battery is bad.

4. KYHUNTER14

KYHUNTER14 10 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Ashland, KY
    It did this same thing about the time we got the 4 wheeler. I have tried letting the engine idle and hope the battery charges, but it does not. The lights do work though. Is a blown fuse a possibility?

5. trader rob

trader rob 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2004
    ne ky..
    most atv and motorcycles charge at a small rate and require somewhere in the 1500 rpm range before they start charging. if the battery is 2 years old or so best bet is a new one. tr

6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Clean all of the cables and terminals before you charge the battery. May have a bad connection.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I can tell you how to keep one from charging.....

Just take away its credit cards:D !!

8. Omg.......Must have wife with bad credut card habits.....:D:D:D

9. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    IF the battery has screw on caps make sure you screw one open and check the liquid level covering the plates inside. THEN IF the battery has the proper liquid loosen the screw on caps AFTER you hook up the charger. IF water is needed ADD Distilled water only BEFORE you charge it. REMEMBER to tighten the caps back BEFORE removing the charger clamps. Yes use a 2 amp charger. IF you have a sealed battery then just hook up the 2amp charger and let it charge. Either should charge in less than 4 hrs. ALWAYS unplug the charger when hooking or unhooking from the battery. ;)

Are the cable connections corroded ?

Best to leave on a trickle charger during non-use periods. ;)

10. Mine needed a jump once, I hooked up my boat charging , Charger and charged the battery for about 10 minutes and after diconnecting the charger. I started the 4 wheeler right up...No special charger or anything like that...Normal Charger, youd use to charge boat batteries or a vehicle.

11. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Msg I'd be real careful doing that. I have seen batteries blow up using over-powdered chargers and no liquid in the battery. :eek: ;)