How much is a bale of tobacco worth?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by CanisMajor, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Was driving westbound on the BG Parkway this morning and came across a full bale of tobacco lying in the middle of the right lane. I didn't stop, but got to wondering about the value. Anybody know?

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    10 years ago, depending on grade, about $175, now, about $75 if you have inside connections...:(

3. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Sad thing is eventually he will have to sale it for that, or go hungry.

4. ky_horsetrainer

ky_horsetrainer 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2004
    Jackson County
    depends on the weight. we sold a load the other day and it brought $1.62 - $1.88 a pound. our bales ranged for 70-95 lbs

5. finelydeerhunting

finelydeerhunting 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    Finley, KY
    My tobacco this year averaged $1.78 / lb. I had the small bales. Only people getting $.75/lb that I know of were ones that had off-color (getting harder to please the grader) or sunburn or dirty, etc. Now, I can't speak for the free market as we were on contract with PM. I still have roughly 800# of tobacco to sell on the free market as soon as I can, but not sure when that will be.

6. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    It wasn't a bale of tobacco but I was going out Cleveland road in Fayette county one day on my way to work and there were half a dozen mexicans in a truck in front of me with 4 or 5 100 lb hogs in the back of the truck. Who says that hogs can't jump cuz one tried to sprout wings going about 55. The mexicans chased a 2 legged hog around for about 5 minutes and then took off. I waited until they left and helped myself to some pork. Apparently a broke legged hog can out run mexicans but not a 22.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    You should have picked the bale up and held on to it. The way things are going with smoking, not much longer and it would've been worth a lot more sold in quarter ounce baggies.