how much do teachers make in kentucky

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by andy thomas, Dec 8, 2009.

1. andy thomas

andy thomas Fawn

Dec 4, 2009
    hey guys was wondering if any teachers were on and could give me a ball park figure for salary. the wife got offered a job in the college and was wondering how it compares. thanks a ton

2. feathercollector

feathercollector Fawn

Nov 23, 2009
    Suesbury Ky
    Start out in the mid to upper 20s then to 30s after a year or so, depending on your degree.

3. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    Every county has a public record pay scale and it all depends on your degree years of service etc. etc.

Insurance and retirement are something to compare...most of the time smaller colleges actually pay less than what the district would pay when you look at rank and other factors.

Why is this in the waterfowl section?

4. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    You do have a lot of teachers in Kentucky and if pay is the main concern she picked the wrong career pathway.

5. Getchasum

Getchasum 10 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    NKY
    Ohio teachers make more than KY, thats what all my teachers complained about when i was in hikeschool

6. brown meadow

brown meadow 6 pointer

Jan 17, 2009
    Earlton
    I don't think he was implying that pay was the main concern.

7. slipped cork

slipped cork 8 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Borderline Insanity, KY
    I just asked my wife and she said 17yrs ago it was 22G. She hasnt a clue about now but after 17yrs and a rank 1 its around 47G.:eek: To think I paid all that money for school so she could retire at 49yrs old, what was I thinking!:rolleyes: It should have been the other way around.;)

8. Sarge

Sarge 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2007
    Laurel/Clay County
    30,000 to 35,000 in most places in rural KY, A little more in urban centers. Send me a PM and tell me what area your thinking of moving to, and I will give you the low down if I can.

9. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

He wasnt complaining, or anything like that. He just asked a question.:rolleyes:

10. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    It varies somewhat from county to county, and is based on years of experience, degree(S)

(BA MA , Rank I ( Rank I is MA plus 30 credit hours) ...

Sometimes rural counties pay more than nearby cities do, you have to check each area individually FWIW

A 0 years (new teacher) with Rank I will average right at $40,000 compared to ANY other field with that level of education, not much really- teachers do not do it for the $ no question about that IMO

11. nooge

nooge 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2008
    Lexington, KY

This is about dead on for a starting teacher with a bachelors degree. But as turkey said every county has publice records of teacher's salaries and should be able to contact the board of ed to find out any answers.

12. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Check out the link to see all the gubment employees in Jeff Co., including teachers. I was surprised how much teachers and cops make. And teachers have 3 months off.:eek: Just do a search using a letter in the last name field. That will pull up everyone with a last name starting with that letter.

http://datacenter.courier-journal.com/government/salaries/index.php

13. nooge

nooge 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2008
    Lexington, KY

"And teachers have 3 months off." You're obviously not a teacher...

14. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    That was tongue in cheek sort of, hence the :eek:. It is more time off than the average job though, isn't it? I remember some of my HS teachers having summer jobs to make some extra cash.

15. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    Yes they get summers off (mostly),

MA Degree from good college > $100,000 (NOT Ivy League)

Then there is the PRAXIS tests to pass (plus they're not free either FWIW)

then see what MOST jobs with A MA pay in comparison.., management, computer programmers etc. And WHAT is more important than the future generations education???? :eek:

Truth is MANY Restaurant managers make MORE than most teachers with MUCH less invested in degrees, but that is how reality is......

I've known chefs around KY making > $70k per year with great benefits...... and no six year + degree

16. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Yeah but chefs have to work some terrible hours. They work when everybody else is having fun.

17. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    Probably still trying to pay back student loans :D

Seriously what does that tell you, a Profession critical to our Nations survival and needing "extra income" to make ends meet, SHOULD that be the case? I don't think so..

18. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    Agreed, but making twice what the average teacher does???? C'mon

19. nooge

nooge 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2008
    Lexington, KY

I am a high school agriculture teacher and I get 21 week days off a year. Most other teachers do get the majority of June-July off and most schools now start the first week of August. It's a great job if you love it but I've seen teachers right out of college that get ate up (no pun intended).

20. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Not everyone has extra jobs or works OT to make ends meet. Go check out the link I posted above for some teacher salaries in Jeff county. Anyway you slice it, 55,000 is not bad money for a teacher.