How many bobcats have you seen here in kentucky?

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by billproxs, Jan 21, 2010.

1. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    How many bobcats do you think you have seen here in Kentucky ?

Are bobcats common throughout Kentucky?

I am new to the area,and I know bobcats are rare in the Midwest, but you can hunt them here in Kentucky.

Have you ever seen any bobcats in LBL or in western Kentucky?
  2. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    One cat in real life and one set of BC tracks on turkey tracks.

BGTURKEYHUNTER 6 pointer

Mar 3, 2004
    Alvaton, ky, USA.
    one cat in the woods. Several sets of tracks.
  4. abssprint

abssprint 8 pointer

Jan 5, 2005
    Clark County, Ky
    Used to be plenty of them until Erwin1 started trapping them!!!:D:D
  5. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Yeah hes hard on em for sure:)
  6. bmiller

bmiller 6 pointer

Aug 22, 2007
    Scottsville, KY
    We've seen about 10 on the farm we hunt, have killed 4. My buddy missed one last weekend. All in Allen county,
  7. watershedman25

watershedman25 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2009
    N. Logan Ky.
    My neighbor used to have permission to trap at LBL and he cought several. The park ranger would tell him where he saw them and you know the rest.
  8. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    There's more than most folks realize. I've only seen a handful while hunting over the years, but see tracks all the time. I really believe that they have a very small home range most of the time, and coupled with the fact they are highly nocturnal don't make them super visible most of the time. The exception to that is when the toms start moving prior to breeding, kind of like a buck deer; you could have one in a trap miles from where he normally hangs out. I nailed a big tom a few seasons back in a wide-open ag field I was setting for 'yotes that was at least a mile from any woods or thickets that might have held a cat. Up until that day, I'd never so much as cut a cat track on that farm, and haven't seen a sign of one there since.....
  9. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    I have trapped 8 in the past few years and killed one with a rifle. I have seen quite a few while deer huntin. First day of gun season 2008 saw 4 at one time while hunting, I assume it was female with her kittens, they were all about the same size.
  10. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    There was a Bobcat on our back porch the other evening.
  11. killer

killer 12 pointer

May 7, 2004
    "In that good way!"
    Seen 2 live ones myself on our farm over the past 5 years. Dad saw 2 togeather opening day of gun season in 08'. My uncle killed one in 06'. They are around you just don't see them much. Put a carcass out and put a camera on it, you'll see them.
  12. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    I believe they are way more than what people think.I dont know how long they have been here or if they have always been here but I can remember seeing them with my Dad in the late 80's when we first started deer hunting but never did accidentally trap one.
  13. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    There seems to be plenty all over the state except in Northern KY. We seem to be getting more up here the past few years though. I think there were 2 or 3 checked in in my county (Pendleton) last year. 10 years ago that would have been unheard of.
    The last one I've seen was about 20 years ago along the Ohio River near Meldahl Dam.
  14. watershedman25

watershedman25 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2009
    N. Logan Ky.
    I see tracks in the snow every time, but haven't saw them on my place. Seen them 2-3 times at the neighbors across the river and crossing the highway twice same place.
  15. Bentstick

Bentstick Spike

Aug 11, 2009
    Over Yonder
    I've only seen one while out hunting. And I saw one up close that a guy shot with his bow ahen I was hunting in Texas. I've heard a lot of people here in Ky that have seen them.
  16. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    I have seen 8 or 10 while hunting I think I have trapped 3 and I have seen several more while driving.
  17. Palegroe

Palegroe Spike

Dec 18, 2008
    Corydon, Kentucy
    I have seen a total of 17 while either hunting or traveling in just the county I am from two or which are mounted in my house. I've seen and missed one at LBL while hunting (one in the same that one was) I think there is many more than we see or think in kentucky.
  18. ricky280

ricky280 Fawn

Dec 29, 2008
    The Lane, KY
    billproxs,I have seen more here in western ky the last few yrs than I have seen in my entire life (I am 55 yrs old) I have always seen some in LBL,used to see some when we lived there.
  19. JeepKid

JeepKid 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2006
    Had a close encounter with a big one that had six kittens with it a few years back, which was really cool. I saw four more on the same farm on the knox co/laurel co line, shot one with a 22 and missed a big one with my bow. i think there are more than we might think, their just sneaky and camoflauged so well, thier hard to see.
  20. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    When I worked at LBL, I saw one on Silver Trail just off the Trace. Some guys would always trap cats around Sugar Bay. I'd imagine they are spread all over LBL, but those guys always camped and trapped the same area.

I've seen a few over the last few years while driving and caught a couple. Contrary to one of the previous posts, while at college at EKU there was a study on bobcats that showed enormous home ranges. I don't remember the exact numbers, but some cats covered a county sized area. I'd imagine the males range would be drastically larger than females.