How long will deer meat keep in refrigerator?

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by nontypical, Dec 7, 2009.

1. nontypical

nontypical 6 pointer

Oct 22, 2005
    I killed a doe on tuesday november 24th and immediately cut her up and put her in the frig. I had to go out of town the next day and didnt get back until last night. Today makes 13 days and the temp is 37 degrees. Any input or opinions on whether or not this meat is still good. It doesnt look any different but it might have a little different smell but that could be the blood in the bottom.
  2. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Thats an aged deer. Meat will be perfect-Probably the best eating you ever had.
    I'm not kidding...
  3. Foam Steak

Foam Steak 10 pointer

Jun 29, 2006
    Harrison County
    As long as it smells ok have at it. If it is whole muscle you could cut off any bad spots if there are any.
  4. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007

"At 40 degrees F. we find that the meat tastes the best after 5-7 days of aging. This aging time will vary on the size of the deer, temperature and individual preferences. We hang our deer in a walk in cooler with a concrete floor. After several days the enzymes break down the venison muscle tissues and you end up with tender meat."

I say you can EAT UP!
  5. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Never aged any 14 days. Cut a steak off it and smell the meat. IF it smells ok, cook it with NO seasonings and taste it. THEN if it tastes good, go for it. Most all ours hang for 7-9 days at around 35-37 degrees. It makes a hugh difference in tenderness & flavor. Good Luck. :)