How join th fight for center fired at night?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by nkyhornhunter, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The only answer I could come up with ,would be because Ky. Fish and Wildlife dept. says you can't.Might try calling Frankfort see what thier reasons are.

davers likes this.
  2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    You lost me. What does squirrel hunting have to do with coyote hunting? As I told you, my guess on the squirrel hunting is the travel distance potential. I truly don't know. Just my .02.

davers likes this.
  3. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thanks anyway "bgkyarcher". Best thing, for me to do, is to contact the Kentucky Fish & Game Department to obtain my answer. There has to be a valid reason and they should know.:)

4. huntingwildman

huntingwildman Fawn

Feb 13, 2007
    I swear all this talk of hunting coyotes at night with a rifle, will only make it easier to poach deer leaves me cold. Poachers will poach regardless, and it's already easy to do. Drive down a back road, shine a deer and drop it. Come back later and pick it up, now how much easier can it get? Your not going to want to pack lights, night vision gear, a rifle and other equipment hoofing it around the pasture looking for deer. That's way to much work for those inclined to poach, and there is no quick getaway after the shot. Other states have night hunting with rifles and poaching is not an issue, and it wouldn't be here either.

5. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    "Dark Cloud" I wrote the Department of F&W, as you suggested, and I received the following reply on the topic of allowing the use of small centerfire rifle cartridges (like the .22 Hornet) for Squirrel Hunting here in Kentucky:

David,
    Thanks for your inquiry regarding squirrel hunting weapons. Our limitations to rimfire rifles for squirrel hunting dates back well before my time here at fish and wildlife. However, most arguments I’ve heard for limiting to rimfire rifles is the perceived safety risk with firing “hotter” rounds in the air. Keep in mind that small game hunting methods are for statewide harvest and do have to balance weapons discharge in areas with higher densities of people in some circumstances. The bullet diameters you note are commonly utilized for small game hunting. Our regulation process allows for constituent input through our Commission process. If you are passionate about the issue, then you may consider taking it up with your District Commissioner (http://fw.ky.gov/More/Pages/District-Commission-Members.aspx). Thanks for being a small game hunter and let me know if I can help you any further.

John J. Morgan, Certified Wildlife Biologist
    Small Game Program Coordinator
    KY Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
    #1 Sportsman's Lane
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    (800)852-0942 Ext. 4458

Dark Cloud likes this.