how far from a road do you have to be

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shogan, Dec 14, 2007.

1. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    It seems to me that a couple years back I read you had to be 300 yards from a house or public road to hunt? But I cant find the regulation now. Can anyone point me to the current law/restriction on how this matter.

Thanks

2. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

I believe in Ky there is no yardage restriction.You just can't shoot across or from a roadway I believe.

3. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Slickhead is right.

4. KYDEERCHASR

KYDEERCHASR 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2005
    marion county
    im pretty sure their right also.
    if not some people are in trouble. i can take you and show you at least 7 stands that are no more than 30 yards off state roads.

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    at least 8 ft from the edge of the road because i believe the state has that much of a right away

6. 500 feet I am pretty positive. I have read it somewhere. I will look to confirm.

7. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    i have never seen any distance limits in ky laws even thou i am sure there has to be something..

i know in Indiana you can be sitting on the road edge and shooting away from the road and be fine "YOU just cant shoot OVER a roadway" ex- (dove hunting would be an example this was info i got from a indiana co) on another forum they have a "Ask a Conservation Officer" forum

8. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    My stand is within 150-200 yards from a state road.

9. str8 shot

str8 shot 12 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    berea kantuckie
    there are no restrictions im really really sure of it because loads of people includin myself hunt near roads on central ky wma

10. canemaker

canemaker 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2007
    Lemhi, Idaho
    There are no limits on distance. You just can not shoot across the roadway. That is in the KRS.. Try google and look up chapter 150. It is in there. However the right of way varries with what type of roadway it is and I would be careful about shooting from the state right of way.

canemaker

11. that dosn't mean there is not a restriction. Not saying there is, still investigating.

12. must not be. I always thought there was. Wonder if there ever was????????????

13. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    I believe on some QUOTA hunts there are restrictions as it pertains to some STATE locations: so far from golf courses, established camp grounds, so far from lodge areas/buildings, etc....but that reg or rule would be in that individual quota hunt guide

14. Hmmmm I always thought there was . In Michigan you have too be 450 feet from a dwelling or road . Granted I see that law broke all the time when I hunt up there !!! But down here have not seen any laws pertaining to it . :rolleyes:

15. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    I know there is or was.

1. I remember someone on here telling me about how the dept knew a guy was hunting to close to the insterstate and went out and measured his stand location to the road and gave him a citation.

2. I know i read it in the book a few years back. And was amazed at how far away you had to be maybe it was 500 feet I was thinking 300 yards but that's a long way. Now I don't know if they removed that law or if I just haven't looked in the right place.

16. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    I believe it used to say 100 yards from a dwelling, don't remember a distance on roadways.

17. CUZZIN

CUZZIN Banned

Jul 25, 2007
    Pump Jack Holler
    Step in the ditch and snap a cap:rolleyes:

18. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Heres what I read

• No person shall discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow or other similar device, upon, over or across any public roadway. Hunting is prohibited in highway or interstate medians and rights of way.

19. tenntucky

tenntucky 10 pointer

Sep 24, 2007
    Mineral Bluff, Ga
    If you ain't handycapped and can still see your truck ....ya ain't hunting your shootin...IMO

20. ocbowhunter

ocbowhunter 6 pointer

Apr 30, 2005
    LaGrange, KY
    "No person shall discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow or other similar device, upon, over or across any public roadway. Hunting is prohibited in highway or interstate medians and rights of way. "

I believe this is interpreted as ON the road and within the state easements of the road.

I don't see how it could possibly be legal to drive down a road, see a deer, stop the truck and get out, and walk 10 steps off the road and shoot it. It would be interesting to actually ask a CO how this plays out.