honda engine pump

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Buford, May 19, 2016.

1. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I have a Honda 5hp motor from a dead pressure washer. I want to put a transfer pump on it.It has a 7/8" horizontal shaft. All the trash and transfer pumps I've seen have a 3/4" shaft. ?????
    Are there no pumps for 7/8 shaft????

2. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  3. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    did you try looking for a step up adapter? 7/8 to 1-1/8 and have someone with a lathe turn the shaft down to size. Probabbly easiest solution.

4. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Yeah both are imperfect solutions. Damn shame not to be able to use this motor. Hello Craigslist

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Most industrial pumps are not direct drive and not uncommon to have different sized shafts on the pump and motor. They use an elastomeric coupler with different sized hubs to connect to the different sized shafts.

LoveJoy.... Kop-Flex are the two brands we use the most of at work. The hubs are pretty much bullet proof ... usually with a keyway and / or set screws to attach to the shaft. Occasional you may have the rubber connector give problem or break but can be changed out easy enough.

My only other thought for the application you want to set this up for being transfer. I'd look hard at the rpm's the pump needs. The motor may actually turn too fast for some transfer type pumps causing cavitation and loosing prime easily.

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  6. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I dunno it's the same motor that's sitting on the trash pumps at tractor supply, but for some reason a diff shaft...just a trash pump will do. I don't need an industrial grade.

7. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    After looking at some go kart forums, I have two other options. Replace the crank, which shouldn't be too hard, or, start her up, lay a file or grinder on it and see if I can get it close enough to 3/4 to fit a trash pump. The coupler is less appealing bc I'm trying to fit the whole deal on the original little pressure washer cart, and the coupler will make the pump stick out too far.

8. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    A love joy coupler won't take up much space...probably less than 1/2 inch.

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not saying you need an industrial motor... just saying rarely in industrial settings do the motor shaft & pump shaft match in size. Same for air handling ... mechanical processes .. ect.

You couple the shafts with the appropriate coupler. Lovejoy, Kopflex, Woods, Sureflex, Spirallink... a whole slew of different coupler manufactures that you can hook up any combination of shaft sizes.

As far as the pump itself .... most trash or transfer are low rpm... 1750 or less. Occasionally you may run across one that operates around 3450 but not as common. On the very low side you have exception of diaphragm type trash / sludge pumps and they are exceptionally slow ... 300 or less .

Overall... just saying match your pump to your motor rpm's if known. Which with a gas engine you can always throttle up or down to control things a bit.