Homemade scent away spray

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by RJPOUTDOORS, Jul 7, 2009.

1. RJPOUTDOORS

RJPOUTDOORS 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2006
    Uniontown, Ky.
    I found this somewhere years ago and i make up a gallon every year. It seems to work okay i use it a lot to spray totes and stuff down. Last year i used it a lot on my trap line to spray down my hands and stuff and it worked i cought a good number of coon.

2 cups of baking soda
    2 cups of peroxide
    2 cups of distilled water
    1 oz non scented soap ( i use the green liq. Soap from h.s.)

mix it up and pour it into the jug of distilled water, place the cap on the jug and shake jug a little and then loosen cap for 24 hours this allows the gases to escape.

I'm thinking of trying this all this deer season, a friend of mine got this receipe from me last year. I'm going to see if he used it during the whitetail season and how it worked for him.
    You can make a gallon of this for what it cost to buy a 32 oz from wal-mart.

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    A similar recipe will (less baking soda) will take skunk spray off a dog, so your's should work well.

3. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    RJ, you won't be disappointed. I use a recipe very similar only with 1 gal distilled water and 1/2 gal peroxide. I've used it for the last two seasons and have had deer incredibly close and down wind, hunting off a 12' ladder stand. I put a little more into it though than just spraying it on. I keep my clothes separate and change in the woods. Never wear them in my truck, home, etc. A little overkill, I know but the results make it worth it. I get a little white residue (soda) on me/equipment after it dries but nothing to be concerned with. Probably a little too much baking soda in my mix.

You can also spray yourself with "Off" for the bugs, let it dry and then cover it with your recipe. You can't smell the Off but the deet still keeps them away (the bugs that is, not the deer :) ) Stick with it, it will work!

4. RJPOUTDOORS

RJPOUTDOORS 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2006
    Uniontown, Ky.
    Jman where do you get a 1/2 gal. Of peroxide at. I bought the big bottal at wally word for a buck. I'm glade to here that it will work and thanks for the advise on being able to use off in the early season. That will save me from buying the bug off spray and stuff. Thanks and good hunting.

5. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Scent Control Formula

Two 16 Ounce Bottles of hydrogen peroxide
    32 oz of distilled water
    ΒΌ cup baking soda
    1 oz Scent-Away (Sporting goods at Walmart) laundry detergent

First poor hydrogen peroxide in bottle or some large open container. Then add the distilled water. Then you add the baking soda and the unscented liquid soap. STIR DO NOT SHAKE!
    Use a wood spoon and stir the ingredients together. Add very small amounts of baking soda at a time stirring until it is completely dissolved. Let this ferment for three days stirring one or twice a day. Do not seal tight in the first 3 days because it may build up pressure and explode. After the three days I store the scent killer in dark containers like the peroxide containers and in my spray bottles. Light breaks down hydrogen peroxide. I have great luck with this formula.

Never wear leather belt. They have a years worth of human scent in them.

Always put watch, car keys, wallet, cell phone etc. in a zip-lock type bag.

Always wears tall rubber boots that have never been worn anywhere but where you hunt.

6. WETWADERS

WETWADERS 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Woodford Co., Ky
  7. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Before I hunt I get onto an internet chat forum and stumble into a big pile of BS to cover my scent.

8. kywaterfowler

kywaterfowler 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2009
    maysville ky
    I think I'm going to try that this bow season to see how it works out.