Hernia Surgery recovery time?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOY, Apr 23, 2013.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Just curious, anyone had to recover from hernia surgery? Ive been fighting off for a long time and I may have to go ahead and bite the bullet :grumpy: I was wondering how long recovery took? partial recovery? able to move around,etc..Thanks

2. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

I had inguinal hernia surgery when I was living in Chicago. 1 incision, but they put in 2 screens. I walked home from the hospital and went to work the next day.

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Type of hernia?

My ex BIL had a little something extra show up down in his sack once. He was off work for 6 weeks, but he bass fished hard for about 4 of those weeks.

4. mrdux

mrdux Guest

I had 2 fixed last fall after deer rifle season. I was back in the studio in a couple of days but didn't do any lifting for a couple of weeks. I was told by good sources that I did not want to have to go thru the surgery to repair damage done after the initial surgery. I had pain for a few days but was back to close to 100% for Feb snow goose season.

5. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    I had it done on a Friday and was moving around that day. I took it easy all weekend and back to work on Monday. No heavy lifting for a few weeks. On a side note get Miralax and use it. The constipation will make you want to die if you strain to hard.

Mayes

6. Justsaying

Justsaying 8 pointer

Jun 22, 2012
    NOYB
    Can't add anything but good luck.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I had it on wednesday ( one side). Back at work monday but moving slowly. No lifting for at least two weeks. I wouldnt do it during allergy season. Coughing is a ?(&?,;

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Its an inguinal hernia, already had a scan of my nether regions so no surprises there(Thanks God.)..
    Thanks for all the responses, Im glad to hear of good recovery times..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Heck, you blew your window of opportunity. You might want to put it off a few more months if you can. You already blew your opportunity to watch the NCAA tournament, so now you might as well wait until football season starts.

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea, thats a good point..Ill want to milk it for all its worth :eagerness:

11. Steven Buckley

Steven Buckley 6 pointer

Apr 20, 2007
    Floyd County
    I work in the OR as a RN and have assisted on over 1000 hernia repairs, No heavy lifting or straining for 6 weeks is the best bet for non reoccurrence and Mesh is always best to have sewn in.You will be sore no doubt and wobble around in pain for a few days!!!!:eek-new:

12. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I had an ambilicle(spelling) hernia repair a few years back. It was very painful for the first 3 days. After that the pain wasn't as bad if I wasn't active. I was off work for 3 weeks an on light duty for 3 weeks. They gave me a God awful amount of painpills, but I flushed them after day 1 and dealt with the pain. Im not very tolerant of pain, so I was miserable for a couple days, but didn't want to start an addiction. One major word of advise...take some stool softener the moment you leave the hospital and keep taking it. You don't want to go 4 days like I did without a movement.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AND YOUR SANITY!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO MY NEXT STATEMENT!!!!

When you come out of ER, and are in recovery... If they ask you if you would like launch, SAY NOOOOOOOOOOO! I had not eaten since 6:00 the previous evening, and was very hungry. It was 3 hours post OP. They brought me a cheeseburger and fries, which I devoured. I was able to get out of bed, and make it to the bathroom, but was unable to go. After a couple more hours, in extreme discomfort, they finally cath'd me. Around 6:00 PM, they admitted me because you can't leave until you are able to go. I was put in a room, and there I was. Should have been home hours ago. They asked if I was hungry, I said yes. They brought me a steak and baked potato. I gobbled it down. This was probably the most miserable night of my life. I had gas pains and all around just sick stomach all night. Finally around 6:00 AM, after a sleepless night, the dam broke. I finally peed and pooped. Getting there and back was hell, but I finally got it done. The surgeon shows around 7:30 and sees I finally went, and made comments like, "I don't understand why you had so much problem with gas pain....." "very unsual"..."I guess you're starving"...."We'll get you some real food and get you out of here".... I asked, "What do you mean, real food?" He said,"You've had nothing but water, ice, and jello for 24 hours so I would think you're hungry". When I told him what I had eaten he went nuts.....I was supposed to be on a liquid diet until I had a bowel movement..... No wonder I was in such discomfort, and I heard him ripping the nursing staff a new one. So......Don't eat squat until you go..... Good luck

14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Listen to the advice on the stool softeners. I wish someone had told me that when I had my appendix taken out. It was the same deal. 4 days.

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    may want to consider the stool softeners a couple of days before the surgery.

16. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Thanks for all the tips..Ill take it to heart..Im a firm believer in learning from others mistakes whenever I can..:eagerness:

17. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

From surgery to bowel movements in just two pages. This thread sure has gone to hell quick.