Here is a good MERGANSER recipe

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Killroy, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a gas station
    Take out the breast meat and quarter it (I just used two hens). Don't leave any skin or fat. Rinse it out really well. Soak for 1 hour in saltwater and a little splash of vinegar.

Place a large sheet of aluminum foil in a pie tin. Place merganser breast quarters on foil and add salt and pepper. Cover generously in worchestershire sauce (it will cook in this, so almost cover the meat to the top). Drop a big spoonfull of kraft honey bbq sauce on each quarter. Cover the remaining surface of the quarters in honey. Be very liberal with the bbq and the honey.

fold the aluminum foil over and roll up all the sides tight.
    Bake on 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Eat with more bbq sauce.

I have read so many bad things about merganser that I threw away the first one I killed because I was scared to touch it. I killed two more today on the creek (thought I had jumped a flock of woodies). I made up this recipe for cooking squirrel (25 min on 450 then 25 min on 350) and realized it was delicious but the ingredients provided most of the flavor. So far I have used this recipe for quail, rabbit, squirrel, and merganser. Adapted it a little bit and I won't ever waste a merganser again. Fine table fare in my opinion.

2. Backwater

Backwater 8 pointer

Jan 15, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    I was expecting a picture of a ditch...

3. ceg4uk

ceg4uk 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2006
    Sloughs WMA
    My former BIL drank 12 beers and still couldn't tolerate a hoodie.

4. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

A wise man (Peanut) once told me that if you put enough hot sauce and pepper on it, anything tastes good. I think I might try this merganser recipe.

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    They make good air fresheners for other people's trucks.

6. Pretty sure I remember him saying that once too after a discussion about crow meat

7. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a gas station
    Heard crow meat was pretty good...

8. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

I've eaten quite a bit of crow since I got married. Easy to sleep on the couch with a belly full of crow.