Herbicide to kill grass in clover

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by lmcquinn, Apr 22, 2010.

1. lmcquinn

lmcquinn 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2008
    Can someone tell me what herbicide can be sprayed to kill grass but not clover? Thanks.

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Poast, is one herbicide used to kill grass.

3. sthrnkyhunter

sthrnkyhunter 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2007
    glasgow,ky
    I will second ......... poast

4. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Select, is my favorite grass killer. 10-12 oz. per acre rate

5. N2MyWake

N2MyWake 10 pointer

Nov 26, 2003
    Kentucky, USA.
    I've been thinking about killing the grass in my clover fields, my cousin who spray's chemicals for a living suggested that I wait until after the first mowing or hay cutting to spray to be most effective. then I plan to let the clover grow until fall and then drill in my orchard grass (hay). goal is to eliminate fescue

6. i would also say post you should also check with your local farmers coop a lot of times there are generics out there that are just as effective and a ton cheaper

7. INguy

INguy 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2010
    will Poast or Select kill maple saplings 3-5 inches high? I've got them popping up everywhere in my clover patch.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    No.. but mowing the patch should take care of them..

9. INguy

INguy 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2010
    did you read my other thread? I thought of this. You don't think the weight of the riding mower (don't have a push) will tear the clover up?

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    A mower won't hurt it, I mow mine with a tractor.

11. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    No, they only kill grasses. I forgot to add that you may want to add a "sticker" like crop oil, it makes the chemical bind to the plant better resulting in a better kill. You don't want to spray grasses that are 1.5 ft tall, so mow them and spray at a smaller height. The plant is trying to grow once it's mowed and that helps the effectiveness of the spray.

You can't hurt that clover, your mower won't compress the clover as much as my tractor. Clover just can't compete with grasses, so eliminating them is the most important step.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  12. lmcquinn

lmcquinn 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2008
    Anybody know where I can buy some poast around Lexington and what approximate cost is? Thanks!!

13. INguy

INguy 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2010
    Okay, I just want to clarify that the clover area (different than the yard) I would be mowing is only about an inch high and has never been established until now. The weeds have grown taller than the inch spread of clover so I would be driving over the top of new short clover to mow the taller weeds. And you think that the clover will be fine...? Are we on the same page. Thanks for your help

Can you over mow clover? The reason I ask is when I moved in my house, our entire yard was clover about 12 inches high. BEAUTIFUL but my wife hated it so I kept mowing it to keep it down. Now there is hardly any clover in the yard.

14. it should be fine i would not mow it in the heat of the summer but early summer it can stand a good clipping it actually promotes thicker growth but i definately wouldnt mow it late in summer if it is dry and hot