HB 187 Elk hunting draw bill

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by KYBOY, Feb 17, 2017.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I don't understand why people are against this. Each person that doesn't get drawn gets a better chance the next year. It may not be ideal, but it's certainly better than what's in place.

KY-WYWaterfowler likes this.
  2. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Im not against the bill but I am overly cautious about politicians being involved in the wildlife policy..I just don't trust them..I think they will use any backdoor tactic to get hold of fish & wildlife's funds..
    Im all for revamping the draw system in some way to make it more fair though..Im not one of those that thinks its rigged either just that its not completely fair.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    Has anyone addressed why we need a bill to make changes to the elk draw system? So, KDFWR and KY hunters can't collaborate and come up with a better system? Why do we need politicians to hold our hands?

Any small game bills in the works? Never mind....

4. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    I still favor one time drawn and you are done. That is the only really fair way to do it. There are too many people who will never get drawn any other way.

5. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    It was mentioned earlier that we have a very limited resource in the elk herd and it only improves with good management. Unfortunately money is how the resource is improved. From a dept standpoint keeping it as is would be best for allowing everyone an equal shot each year with max income potential. This hopefully draws more money for first timers and out of state applicants.
    I personally have been putting in every year since the intro and finally got drawn this past year. I can tell you from being out there that the elk herd has many factors working against it, and the local hunters indicating they are seeing less and less elk in the herds. Too many tags given already---which was great income for the dept, locals tend to hate the elk and I think poaching is relatively common, and ongoing studies on survival rates and such.
    I think it's going to get worse before better and already less tags issued for next year as I've heard. Unfortunately for many may never get the opportunity to hunt the KY herd, but hopefully with good management it gets easier for generations to come. I believe that a bonus and preference point system is good in principle, and in the short term. However with a very limited resource it would greatly hurt first time applicants in the future as point/bonus point creep occurs.

elkwhisperer likes this.
  6. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I think hunters have been making this case to KDFWR for years and it has been ignored. Not saying I agree with getting politicians involved, but that is why they're involved now. Overall I think KDFWR does a great job, but they have made too many people unhappy with the elk draw. At least they're making the names of those drawn public now so we can see who is getting drawn multiple times. Their insistence on keeping that list secret was a HUGE sore point for a lot of us and at the very least gave the impression of wrong doings within the department. In short, I think KDFWR brought this on themselves.

7. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    If anyone wants to see what happens when politicians get involved look no further than California's Department of Fish and Wildlife. When politicians get involved the chance for strategies and decisions made based on scientific evidence greatly decreases.

8. elkwhisperer

elkwhisperer Fawn

Nov 26, 2014
    Logan County
    A better solution I believe would be to square your points every year. For example, if you have 4 points it would go up to 16 points the next year and then 256 points the next year. But then I also see KDFWRs reasoning that new people won't want to start applying if they know somebody has 256 points and they have none, how many years is it going to take before it does a new guy good to apply? It's all about the money for them and how many people they can get to pay $10-$20 every year for a chance. I also think it would be a great idea for those who draw cow tags to wait 3 years to apply again and bull tags 5 years. I was lucky enough to have had a cow archery tag in 2011 and I would gladly have waited 3 years to apply again.

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Ive pitched a simple easy idea to the dept for years..You already wait 3 years after drawing a bull tag, make it 3 years after drawing a cow tag as well..That would cut down on the multiple draws and give folks who haven't been drawn a better chance without coming up with a complicated points system..
    I don't think the draw is rigged,never have but the real sore spot amongst outdoorsman is people getting drawn multiple times(even if it dosnt happen that often) while other hunters put in year after year after year without getting drawn. Not jealous either, good for those folks but I do think that the chance of multiple draws needs to go down because its causing a rift between a lot of sportsmen and the dept. Ill keep right on putting in like I always have for oh a long,long time. Sooner or later hopefully Ill get drawn..
    Its funny, Im local. See elk all the time and have places to hunt but cant get drawn..LOL

bondhu likes this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Did they not make the change already on cow tags as well? I've always been for spreading the wealth, and any change they make to up the odds of those that have not drawn is a move in the right direction, IMHO.