Hanging Deer- Warm Weather

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Rut36, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Rut36

Rut36 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2005
    Grant County
    I like to let my deer hang a few days before I butcher them but we are supposed to have warm temperatures all the way until Nov. 25. What is the max temperature you will let a deer hang and what are some ways to keep the deer cool besides hanging them in a walk-in fridge?

2. hunter82

hunter82 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2008
    Franklin County
    I quarter my deer up and let is sit in coolers with ice on it for 4 or 5 days draining the bloody water off daily and adding new ice when it's warm or I put in a cooler and sit in the bottom of my dads garage fridge if he doesn't already have his deer in there.

3. N3tT3chMan

N3tT3chMan Spike

Sep 10, 2009
    Louisville
    im not sure how long you can do it but mine hung in the garage for a day in the upper 50's during the day, at night it got down to the high 30's and mine is still safe to eat.. hope this helps some.

4. BRIAR

BRIAR Spike

Jan 5, 2008
    Bacteria sets in easy at 50degrees,get them in fridge or cooler as soon as possible.You don't want to mess around with taking a chance.

5. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    A daytime high more than 45 im gettin leary! In the shade if at all possible!

6. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    Yep in these temps It would be hard to let one hang a day. If a person took one in the evening hunt and could get it caped out and hung over night it would be OK with the temps lower than 50 but there is no way I would let one hang all day in 60+ degree temps.

7. stinkworm

stinkworm 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2008
    Jonesville VA
    I usually de-bone and put it in a cooler. I have a large cooler that I put the grated shelving from a frig in. I placed spacers in the bottom so there is a void at the bottom for the blood and melting ice to drain. I set the cooler on an angle , pull the drain plug and cover the meat with ice. replace the ice as needed.

8. jordanc57

jordanc57 Spike

Oct 13, 2009
    Floyd Co. Kentucky
    I'm glad someone started this topic. I've been hunting for 5 or 6 years now and fortunately have never been in a situation where I didn't have time to immediately butcher the deer.

If I get one on saturday, I wont have time to butcher it til sunday morning.

I was thinking maybe pack the rib cage with ice bags??

There is a barn to hang the deer in. Is it more important to get the deer off the ground (hang in the barn), pack it with ice on the barn floor, or neither??:confused:

9. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    You can leave it on the floor but pack it full of ice.

Another thing to think about in warm temps besides just spoilage... flies. The big blowflies will be on it in no time in temps over 50* during daylight.

10. jordanc57

jordanc57 Spike

Oct 13, 2009
    Floyd Co. Kentucky
    Yeah, the barn has a dirt floor, I guess that cool, damp dirt will be cooler than the ambient temp on saturday, so that will help some.

Ill have to make sure we can keep the coyotes out of the barn:eek:

11. jordanc57

jordanc57 Spike

Oct 13, 2009
    Floyd Co. Kentucky
    Guess I better kill one before I worry bout all that though..

HAHA

12. hcpwaterfowl

hcpwaterfowl 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2008
    ohio county
    i would let one hang right now all night. i wood just hang it by its feet and poke holes in 2 bags of ice and put them in the stomach of the deer. i woodnt let one hang during the day it gets to warm for that.

13. BIGSTROKER

BIGSTROKER Spike

Aug 25, 2009
    Williamstown, KY
    where you from in GC

14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Gonna make sure we've got a couple bags of ice on hand in case we get anything early in the day. Dress it out, leave the skin on, and ice down the body cavity so we can keep hunting...

15. BRIAR

BRIAR Spike

Jan 5, 2008
    Make sure the whole deer is able to cool with the ice.With ice just being in the chest cavity it still does not cool the hind quarters,neck,front legs,to be safe ice would need to be over the whole deer somehow.

16. kissey_branch_hunter

kissey_branch_hunter 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2008
    with these temps (basically anything above 40 deg), i debone it as fast as possible, put the meat in trash bags, then stick it in a cooler with ice or my home refrigerator till I can cut it up and package it.

I won't mess with temps above 40 for hanging deer, not worth the risk to me. If you do some research, you will see that meat will start to decompose at temps above mid 40's. Don't remember exact temp.

17. Getchasum

Getchasum 10 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    NKY
    I wouldnt let one hang period too warm quarter it and cool it. If you have time to shoot one saturday you can take twenty more minutes and quarter the dang deer you owe it to the animal.

18. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    The average refrigerator temp is between 36-46 degrees according to this site but everyone recommends around 35 degrees for cooling food/meat. You can google the topic and find tons of recommendations. I'd say if the temps are close but still above 46 degrees you can cool it pretty easy with ice bags and shade. In the past that is what i've always done and its worked just fine.

www.chacha.com/question/what-is-the-average-temperature-of-a-refrigerator

19. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    I always just do everything the same day. I killed one last night, just skinned it out and cut it up in about an hour. Its sittin in the

20. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    I always just do everything the same day. I killed one last night, just skinned it out and cut it up in about an hour. Its sittin in the fridge now.