Grayson County

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by talltines1781, Jan 13, 2008.

1. talltines1781

talltines1781 Fawn

Jan 13, 2008
    NC
    I have the opportunity to hunt on a nice Grayson County farm with little hunting pressure. Can anyone tell the number of and quality of deer to expect. I will probably go two seperate one week trips. Thanks in advance.

2. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Hard to say without a general location. Grayson has some deer according to some and doesn't have any according to some. Depends who you talk to and where you hunt.

3. Docknboatlift

Docknboatlift 8 pointer

Mar 24, 2004
    Louisville
    My opinion is Grayson has a lot of fine deer. But that's where I hunt.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    According to Telecheck harvest as of today.... in the Green River Region they were ranked #7 out of 25 counties on deer harvested. They were listed #26 on deer harvested in the whole state... 120 counties.

They have harvested more deer in Grayson this season then some known deer producers like Muhlinberg..Logan.. Butler & Todd. Apparently someone found a few deer in Grayson.

5. bugle freak

bugle freak 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2008
    By the looks of the harvest results over the years, Grayson is deer plentiful!

6. talltines1781

talltines1781 Fawn

Jan 13, 2008
    NC
    thanks guys, i read reports and looks good. Just hoping to find some locals that hunt or have hunted the area to give me some idea when the rut peaks and the most productive time to hunt. Being out of state makes it hard.

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Closest towm to your farm???

8. talltines1781

talltines1781 Fawn

Jan 13, 2008
    NC
    multidigits, the farm is close to the ohio county line. I hope that helps.

9. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    That's pretty vague? Seems to be a few less deer in north west Grayson Co. than in other parts and that could be where your talking about. I'm down near the Grayson, Butler/ Ohio Co. line and there's decent numbers there.

10. peepsight

peepsight 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2007
    shepherdsville,ky
    i harvested a nice 140+ from grayson co. on a lease i had in 2002 near caneyville.

11. CentralKyHunter

CentralKyHunter 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2007
    there are good deer in that part of the county

I live in Grayson! Pretty decent hunting

12. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    I live in Grayson. If you are in the Short Creek area you should have some pretty good numbers, although EHD hit some farms pretty hard. PM me if you want to get more specific, but I'd give it a shot. Opening day of gun season is generally the best with rifle, 1st week in Nov. with bow if you are wanting to rut hunt.

13. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    I've got some more numbers for you. 2006, the harvest was 3.4 deer per sq. mi., 43rd in state. Looks like it's going to drop to around 2.7 deer per sq. mi. in 2007.

14. Docknboatlift

Docknboatlift 8 pointer

Mar 24, 2004
    Louisville
    I had no real problem getting my 2.7 deer.

15. ken w

ken w 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2003
    clarkson, ky, USA.
    ehd did hit some areas hard , but still seeing plenty of deer on our property. we found 14 dead total and 12 of those in grayson co , getting lots of pics now seems the mature does hit the hardest had 7 bucks on 1 camera last 2 days 1 good one and 3 that will be good next year hunted 2 days last week killed a doe and missed 1, saw 11 does 1 afternoon mostly yearlings and fawns

16. leg shot

leg shot Fawn

Nov 2, 2005
    I have hunted grayson co. all my life hunted alot of diff. places killed a 156 class with bow seen alot bigger ones. sounds like your in a good spot.

17. huntindawoods

huntindawoods 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2007
    My sister-in-law is fixing to marry a guy from grayson co. there is a lot of big deer up there he and his step dad has harvested a lot of big bucks up there. I know a few other people in that county also that hunt they usally walk away every year with a good buck also GOOD LUCK to ya in the next coming year.

18. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Dang....hope they don't make Grayson a Zone 1 after reading these posts??? :confused:

19. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

I saw fewer deer this past season than I have in a long time and I have lived and hunted in Grayson co. since I started,however I saw more in one day this past season than I saw in three or four seasons when I first started deer hunting so its still better than it used to be;)

20. A zone 3 would be a better fit then a 1