Got a new boat yesterday.

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by BR1, Aug 3, 2012.

1. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    New to us anyway. My son and I went in together and bought a 2007 Tracker Grizzly with a 50 hp Mercury four stroke tiller steer yesterday. He's ordered LED lights for bowfishing and we're going to build our on duck blind for it. We have to re-rivet the floor in it but everything else seems to be in really good shape. I hope to have some pics of it before to long.

2. Bullfries

Bullfries 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2008
    my double bull
  3. breckhunter

breckhunter 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Breckinridge
    What waters do plan to shoot with them LEDs ?

4. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    Ohio river, Tennessee river, Cumberland river. Big Heads, carp, buffalo, gar, silver carp.

5. breckhunter

breckhunter 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Breckinridge
    LEDs are nice in clear water but any stain to it and it glares bad but you can put a Bigfoot switch on them and they work awesome for big heads

6. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    That is what we're doing, is using the Bigfoot switches.

7. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    you will be very limited to when you can fish with leds. they work absolutely great in clear lake type water but any mud or cloudy water and they wont penetrate good enough to help you see the fish. yes they are quiet because of the lack of a genarator. if you are hunting for bigheads and silvers stick to a hand held spotlight or a bow mounted light. for bank shooting id recommend a genny and hps lights. cut through muddy water alot better.

8. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Nothing cuts through muddy water, even HPS. It's a physical impossibility.

Different color temps of lights will give different results, which is what people see with HPS lights. You can get LED's in a yellowish hue as well.

9. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I seen on bowfishing country where the yellowish hue of LED's penetrated the water better than the whitesh lights, but they are harder to find, or well I haven't seen many for sale.

10. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    My son has been twice with it so far and the only problem he said he sees with them is that the light rail he made needs to be higher. His old boat, he had bighead lights that were mounted up over his head and they worked great. This new setup is about 15" above the top of the gunnel. He may re-do them next year as he's getting ready to build his duck blind on now.