Getting wild out of deer meat

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Helium, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Helium

Helium Fawn

Sep 3, 2012
    I love to cook and grill but I have a lot of trouble getting the wild taste out of deer meat I have soaked in wine for a few hrs and I have done buttermilk overnight please help I need ideas on this and some different recipes for cooking and grilling deer meat thx

2. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    No clue here. That's the flavor my family loves - the gamier the better! Soaking it in anything might ruin the flavor!

All we do is brush the meat with a little garlic butter & toss it on the grill. Just remember venison has no fat so it's a drier meat & you don't want to grill it too long or it becomes leathery. Thin slices grill at about 3 minutes per side. Thicker ones can go up to 5. Medium rare tastes best!

For other recipes, we use it pretty much just like beef - tacos, fajitas, spaghetti, roasts, stew, stir fry dishes, you name it!

Venison: it's what's for dinner most times at our house!

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Most of the "wild" taste is due to poor handling before it ever gets to the kitchen. Gut shot deer, poor field dressing, driving around showing off the trophy all day in hot temps, "ageing" a deer in warm temps, all these things will render it unfit to eat. The only deer that might need special care to mask a wild flavor is a tough old buck in full rut, and even they aren't usually too bad.

If you went to the store and bought a package of pork chops for the family, would you toss it in the back of the truck on a sunny day and leave it there for hours and hours? No, you wouldn't. And we shouldn't do that to venison either. The last time I was able to properly age a deer without ice was in 1992 when it snowed and got down to about 30 degrees. Every other year has been way too warm. Meat ages at 37F or lower. Above that and the meat isn't ageing, it's spoiling. Yuck.

I shoot does and young deer and my venison never has a wild taste. I gut it immediately, butcher and get the meat in a cooler with ice within a couple hours, freshen up the ice for 2-3 days, then package and freeze.

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The ONLY way to completely remove the gamey taste is to can it. Canned deer has a taste similar to roast beef.

5. I can tell you that a deer properly aged, preferably 38 degrees for 7-10 days, will be as tender and gamey-tasting free as any you have ever ate. I prefer to leave mine hanging under fur, but that's "tough" to do when the temps are in the 90s. There is a pretty good thread on here about aging, where I believe Quackr gives his method for aging a quartered up deer in the fridge to get the same break down of the meat. Like Trust me said too though, proper handling above all is key to tasty venison.

6. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    The health of the animal can play a big part as well. There's not much more rank than the meat from a deer that took a shot a month earlier but lived to tell about it. I've had to pitch 3 whole deer from that fact alone (after cutting up and storing the entire thing to boot). The dog wouldn't even eat them.

Also, debone instead of cutting through with a saw. Remove all fat, sinew and as much silver skin as possible.

The above items can add an extremely strong taste when the meat is frozen for any length of time or when cooked along with the meat. I suspect that I could feed you deer steaks or burgers from my freezer and you would have no idea that you were eating venison.

7. Rat

Rat 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    Trust me and Quack have some good info that is accurate as far as I know. Another possible way to remove some of the "Bad" taste is to soak the thawed meat in an iced salt water bath for an hour. Lots of salt and ice. This will help remove blood from the meat. Old fisherman's trick I use with many fish I catch. Works like a charm on older deer or if you haven't been able to process it fast enough. And I think that not processing it fast enough is not getting it on ice in 3 hours from the time I shot it.

8. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    This is a great post.

9. Str8_Shot

Str8_Shot 6 pointer

I myself have never thrown bags of ice on a deer to keep it cool,but then again ive never killed one in the early season when its pretty warm.Every deer we kill is immediatly feild dressed with a stick put in the ribs to keep the deer open and let air in to keep it cool to the touch.We then hangem up with fans on em,and sometimes throw the pepper to the meat to keep the flys away.As for the "wild" taste,my grannie swears that every deer but a young one is no good to eat.I guess its just in yuoir taste buds because every deer i kill and eat tastes great.

10. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Wild taste!?!?! It's venison not beef or pork or whatever else you might want it to taste like. Try some without doing any "wild taste removal" and see what venison tastes like. AND, keep an open mind.

11. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Nothing but salt and pepper here. Can't stand that dales crap. Tried blueberry wine one time and fed it to the dogs.

Don't over cook it.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I don't want the wild out of my venison. I like the taste. I only marinate it when I grill it.

13. I think we are cornfusing "wild taste" with improper handling. I never ate a piece of venison in my life that tasted like beef or pork, except for canned deer which, as Barney stated, tastes like roast beef. I like the taste of venison myself and am not trying to cover anything up by aging.

14. Buschwacker

Buschwacker Fawn

Dec 16, 2010
    the "wild taste" that sometimes seems very strong can be caused by how the deer was killed. If you kill a deer that is relaxed just strolling through grazing and you put a quick kill on it, your meat won't taste as strong as a buck that is chasing a doe all that adrenaline pumping will. I think age of the deer plays a big part as well. I killed a very old buck about 6-8 years ago that was running because he got jumped by my neighbors getting up cattle and they ran him to me, was so strong tasting I couldn't hardly eat it. Just my thoughts on the subject.

15. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I think you nailed it. The "wild" taste is just bad meat. Not a gamey taste. Deer tastes like deer and is delicious.

16. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Beef has a "wild" taste to it too if it's not handled and aged correctly....

17. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    Qucik kills, proper handling and processing is the key to high quality table fare! No way to remove the damage done by doing any of the three wrong. PERIOD! Obviously the quick kill part is easy enough to understand. I've never eaten meat from a gut shot deer that didnt taste aweful. As for proper handling, the deer should be recovered and field dressed as quickly as possible. In early season I always head directly to the store and get 2 bags of ice, one for the chest cavity, the other goes between the hams. Nest thing is skinning as quickly as possible to further aid in cooling the meat. I've began deboning my meat right on the carcass and putting it directly into the fridge for processing a few days later. Proper processing includes knowing what cuts are what, how to seperate them and making certain as much sinew and fat as possible is removed. At no point what soever should a meat saw be used on venison!! It isnt beef and shouldnt be processed as such. Cutting through the bone is a sure fire way to ruin the taste. Also, give me a backstrap steak with the silver skin still attached and I'll hand it back. No thanks! Thats it in a nut shell.

18. Drew07

Drew07 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Never really had a problem with taste, maybe a little tough because of age. Never gut shot a deer so I dont know how that tastes =)

19. buckchaser

buckchaser 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2003
    Ky, USA.
    I skin the deer remove all the meat from the bone and place all the meat in a big cooler and cover with ice. Let the meat stay on ice and chill for a few days then just remove from the ice and prepare it the way you want to freeze or whatever you want to do with it. This way if you don't have room in the fridge you can still chill it for a few days and all you have to do is drain water off and add ice whenever needed. In November especially or December it doesnt take much ice to last 3 or 4 days. Plus I can sit it in my storage building out of the way.

20. mulehead

mulehead 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    in the hills
    I just cant c anyone eating a steak deer or beef with that red stuff running out of it