Fuel Effecient 4x4 trucks?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by kycooner, Jun 24, 2012.

1. kycooner

kycooner 8 pointer

May 2, 2007
    Planning on buying a different vehicle. What is the most fuel efficient 4x4 automatic pickup I can buy.
  2. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    If you are buying new, the Ford F-150 ecoboost gets decent mileage according to Ford. I think in a V8 full-size, the GM 4.8 and 5.3 probably does as good as any. I would say the Toyota Tacoma might be the best in the compact pickup.

None of them are going to get good mileage, and from what I have seen, they are all so close that it really doesn't make much difference if you get a v8 or a v6.
  3. Ash12

Ash12 10 pointer

Oct 21, 2007
  4. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Buy a diesel 4x4..More fuel efficient than gas.
  5. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    Are you looking to buy new or used and if used how old?
  6. kycooner

kycooner 8 pointer

May 2, 2007
    I don't believe I want a brand new one..perhaps 2010 or lower ..would consider any year with real low miles.

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

My '06 Tacoma gets 21-22 mpg. My dad's '12 Tacoma gets slightly less. Both 4 cyl. Mine is a standard, his is an auto.
  8. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Really no such thing as a fuel efficient 4x4. Diesel is the best bet on that but fuel is more, also.

As someone else stated in a 2010 or older, there's not a whole lot of difference in mileage between a V8 and a V6.
  9. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Depends on what kind of driving you do. My previous truck was an 05 F150 with the 4.6 v-8 and 3.55 ratio axles. It could have used a lower gear with the smaller engine as it didn't have much low end power but out on the interstate it would get 23-24 mpg running 75-80. Around town it was lucky to get 12. My current truck is an 08 Silverado with the 5.3 that shuts down to 4 cylinders when all 8 aren't needed. Its a 3.73 rear, which means lower RPMs around town and with the cylinder deactivation it still gets 22-23 out on the big road. I started to buy a v-6 crew cab tacoma instead of the 'rado but for the same money and same fuel use you'd be crazy not to go with the extra room and towing/hauling capacity. I talked to several people with the tacos and they all said that they didn't get any better mileage than the full size trucks they'd traded in.

Kinda ran off with the ideal you want a fullsize v-8......I've heard the 4 cyl. tacomas do good. They're hard to find but my boss used to have an 06 or 07 f-250 diesel with a 3.55 rear end. It would get 22-24mpg on highway with a load of oilfield tools on it. All the diesels we have at work average around 15mpg but most of them are lower geared and have a pretty good load on them most of the time.
  10. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    My vote goes for diesel also youll have more power and better fuel mileage. The mileage you get well offsets the higher fuel costs. The worst mileage ive ever recorded on mine is right at 18 mpg. If you stretch it out on the interstate ive seen 25. Ill never own another gas powered truck.
  11. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I disagree on the new diesels. With the latest horsepower wars going on, they don't get much better than gassers. Sure they have TONS more torque for towing but only get about 15 mpg or so. If you want a gas saving diesel, find an 05 Dodge Cummins before all the emissions crap was put on. It'll be pricey though. Many of the older diesels do get better fuel economy. My truck gets 13 highway, 11 city, and 8.5 mpg towing my 16 ft trailer with mowers. The gas bill isn't pretty. It's a 93 Chevy Silverado TBI built with Xtreme 4x4 cam, Vortec heads, bigger tbi, ported intake, headers, 4.10 gears and 33's.....along with a custom chip of course. Stock engine would have a hard time with it. It's pulling 440 ft/lbs of torque at a low 2200 rpm so it can get the load moving with no problem. Only issue is it's still a 1/2 ton and it a PITA stopping loads sometimes...especially with my tractor and implements on it. I'm working on upgrading to 2500 3/4 calipers right now.

Edit: Although I hate Fords, the old 7.3 diesels are great on gas. Hard to believe a big old truck like that can knock down 20 mpg
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  12. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 10 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    The Chevy's with the 5.3 get my vote the 4.8 doesn't seem to do any better o. Mileage than the 5.3 my 2000 extended cab 4x4 5.3 gets 18-19 around town 21-22 on the highway with a chip and cold air intake. And I'm happy with that.
  13. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    I have put roughly 600 miles on a new Eco boost ford f-150 extended cab and have been a little dissapointed in the gas mileage thus far. So far it has been around 17 mpg. That involves alot of city miles but mostly interstate. The jury is still out but it will perform well when asked to. I will update after a couple more tanks of gas.

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Guy I work with just bought a 2012 f150 with the v6 ecoboost with twin turbos,or so he said. He went to Florida last week in it and said he got about 18 mpg in it.
  15. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    My 2000 Tundra V8 gets 16-17 rural mpg.
    The 2006 1500hd I let go got 9.
    It is a crime that the epa essentially shut down where we could be right now with diesels.
    A tacoma with a small diesel would probably go 30 mpg. A mide size prospect like the 4.5 duramax that
    was scrapped coulda probably gone up to 25 or better.
  16. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Holy Crap!!! I had no idea a 1500 HD would get the bad of mileage. I'm with you on the Baby Max. Over on another forum I'm a member of, we were all highly anticpating it's intro. They even sent a letter to Chevy about it. The response was "due to the recent economy, the project has been shelved"...someething like that. It had 325+ hp and 450+ ft/lbs....STOCK...and was getting 25 mpg. If it had a tuner on it, that would have been one bad a$$ engine. The only concern was people might get hurt with those numbers in a half-ton truck and try pulling more than the truck was rated for.
  17. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    And more expensive.
  18. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 10 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Its the 6.0 they are gas hogs bad. The same truck with a 5.3 will get double that.
  19. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    What do you have?

I have an 02 cummins with a fuel chip and get 16-17.5 mpg consistently with a bulk of that interstate driving back and forth to work. Would love to do better if I could.
  20. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I have an 04 duramax and have done very little to it other than keeping all the maintenance done regularly . It has truly been an awesome truck to own and has gotten great mileage since day one. Running around town and short point a-b driving it gets right at 18 . Long distance trips ive seen 25 twicebut it is very regularly in the 22- 24 range.