Fixed vs Dial Sights??

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by upland hunter, Dec 19, 2016.

1. upland hunter

upland hunter Spike

Aug 6, 2015
    Considering, getting, a new set of archery sights..
    Wondering what you guy's prefer, for "hunting mainly", a sight where the pins are fixed or one with a dial, and manufacturer as well..
    All responses appreciated, thanks in advance...

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i like fixed. one less thing to fool with at crunch time. Hogg Hunter.

Joe Bryan likes this.
  3. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    I like the dial HHA 5095 I think.

dmullins likes this.
  4. childersb24

childersb24 Spike

Mar 25, 2010
    I always shoot fixed Trophy Ridge. I wanted to try the dial but like 1wildcatfan said when it comes down to crunch time I don't want to be ranging and dialing in my sight in.

5. dmullins

dmullins 6 pointer

Aug 3, 2006
    Letcher County
    I got the HHA optimizer lite dial sight with one pin last year. I wanted a one pin because it allows me to focus on my target better without looking through a bunch of pins. Best thing for my bow I ever purchased. I shoot well out to 80 yds with it. I leave it on 30 yds in the stand and am good out to 40 yds with a slight aim adjustment. If I need to shoot 50-80, it takes a second to adjust it is all. Everyone is different but this sight works well for me.

Joe Bryan likes this.
  6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Probably for the last 15 years I've ran Montana Black Gold fixed sights on compounds. I always just wanted everything locked down as secure as I could get it.... pretty much the keep it simple approach.

But right now... for the last year shooting traditional .. I'm using no sights at all. Be surprised how well you can shoot without anything.

7. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    I like both actually. Like above I bought a MBG that is a five pin fixed and has a slider option built in. I like practicing at long distance as it helps me with my form and confidence. But as stated above, I don't want to be moving around if I don't have too during the moment of truth. It only takes a slight move sometimes for them to spot you and it's usually game over.

8. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    You want both. A Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg with a 3 pin housing would be perfect

9. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    I'll vote both as well. I went to an Axcel Accutouch 2 pin this season. Pins set at 20 and 35 yards. That would cover 95% of my shots at game. Very simple sight picture but more accurate for me than a single pin. For stretching out beyond that, the whole housing slides and you continue to shoot off of the second pin with marks out to 100 yards.

10. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Back in the 90's I removed all but one pin from my bow sight. I found the clutter at the moment of truth left me wondering if I had actually used the right pin or not. So when the new adjustable single pin sights came out I was all over them. Started with the Truglo range rover and now have the Optimizer Lite. For me it was the way to go. At no point over the past 9 years have I found myself in a circumstance that I couldn't make the adjustment time wise. Actually making the adjustment added an additional layer to shot preparation almost acting as calming element to preshot jitters.

dmullins likes this.
  11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I switched from a Spott Hogg Hunter Hogg It to MBG Ascent Ambush one pin sight and love it. Hard to beat MBG for any type of sight IMO, although Spott Hogg are great.

12. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I use a MBG single pin. The open view is the main reason I have one. It's easy to hold a little high or low if you don't have time to adjust it.

If I used fixed pins I use no more than 3. I don't know how anyone can see past 5 to 7 pins.

13. squackem

squackem Fawn

Dec 26, 2016
    I used to use a pendulum sight, but I did almost all of my hunting from a treestand, worked great. still have one on my old Ben Pearson.

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Dang I just switched to a 1 pin dial last season (although I didn't get a bow shot at a deer) and now y'all got me rethinking my decision.