Fiber Optic Bow Site Fabrication

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by Jman, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    I have an old (1992) one pin adjustable bow site called a Sightmaster. It has been most proficient in performance. I'm wanting to modify it by adding fiber optic material. It had a battery operated fiber optic sight that was WAY too fat. Too bright too. Never did like it. The sight ring is about 1" in diameter, with crosshairs inside as well. I removed the battery operated pin and have only used the crosshairs. That has worked okay but difficult to use under low light conditions. Here's what I'm looking at using.

https://www.nanoptics.com/product.aspx?ProductId=4&title=40"+USF+Replacement+Bowsight+Fiber

I want to put a 90 degree bend on the very tip of it (facing me) and install it on my existing non illuminated crosshairs. I will wind the remainder of the material around the outside of the sight ring to gather light. Not a new idea obviously but maybe a cheap remedy on an old bow ('91 Pearson Spoiler) that still shoots the lights out.

My question is this. Have any of you ever used this stuff? If so, is there a recommended way to crook the end of it 90 degrees? I'm guessing heat will be needed in some capacity/method, but I suspect this stuff is pretty sensative to heat damage. Only $8 risked but I want to get it right.

Any thoughts from any of you appreciated.

2. allxs

allxs 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2005
    you don't want to bend it , bent fiber optic is broke fiber optic.

3. Jman

Jman 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    I have done a lot of research since my post and have found what you said to be true............and then also that it might work but be a little dimmer. Not a big price for the material so I intend to give it a shot. I've ordered 36" of it so we'll know soon enough I guess. :)

4. C.O.D.

C.O.D. 8 pointer

May 11, 2005
    Lex, KY