EHD in Boone County

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by LungBlood, Sep 28, 2013.

1. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    I just read a report on Archerytalk.com about a bad EHD outbreak in Boone County.

One guy said he found 9 and another guy said he found 20. I haven't had any picturs of sick looking deer on my trail cam and I don't think any of the good bucks I had on camera are missing. I also haven't found any dead deer. I'll be down the farm this evening checking things out.

Anybody else finding any dead deer?

2. Hoytman86

Hoytman86 6 pointer

Apr 19, 2013
    Burlington, KY
    I'm going to Adair WMA tomorrow. I haven't been seeing any out there or along the roads in Burlington & Hebron that look sick.

I hope that report is wrong. I saw about 25-30 deer driving home from Cabela's in Louisville tonight, it's got me pumped to get out hunting...finally.

3. hotrod

hotrod 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2009
    Alexandria, KY
    My cousin is a land surveyor and told they found a couple nice bucks in Boone Co. Not sure what road. After telling the land owner he said the Fish and Wildlife was on the way and probably got 1-2 truck loads of deer being tested in that area. So unfortunately it true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

4. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    Any way you can find out what road?

Thanks for the help.

5. hotrod

hotrod 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2009
    Alexandria, KY

Happy jack hollow off of Idlewild road.

6. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    Thanks.......

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Saw the head cut completely off a deer on 64 east just before the Scott line by side of road. That's not typical for someone just wanting antlers but I don't know if it is a doe or buck. Wondering if that might be EHD testing?

8. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    My brother lives accross the river in indiana. Switzerland county to be exact. He found a dead 9 point yesterday and said one of his buddies had found two of his shooters hes had on camera dead in a pond on the property over the last couple days. Could be bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 2

9. Hoytman86

Hoytman86 6 pointer

Apr 19, 2013
    Burlington, KY
    I didn't find any at Adair WMA today. I jumped a doe that was bedded right next to a creek. She let me get within 10 yards before she spooked, I know EHD makes them less afraid of humans, but the creek was nearly dried up so I'd figure if she was sick she'd have been in a bigger pool.

10. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    I hunt in Boone and along some pretty active creeks. Never seen a dead deer.

11. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 8 pointer

I have found a couple dead along a creek that runs into the KY river in Henry Co. Appear to have been does. A friend of mine has seen a few dead along the river while fishing. Said he saw a good buck dead along the bank of the Ohio river (IN shore) today. Happens every yr to some extent. Come on cold weather to get rid of the midges that spread it!

12. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    Wide spread ehd is normally associated with drought. This year we've had anything but a drought. Hopefully these guys finding 20 dead deer contacted f&w.

13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Looks like Mother Nature is controlling the population. With all the rain you would think EHD would not be a problem.

14. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    As I type this I am looking at a dead deer in Gunpowder creek in Boone County. I've been told there are more up stream.

Are we supposed to call the KDFW if we suspect EHD?

15. hotrod

hotrod 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2009
    Alexandria, KY
    I believe so. That is real close where I described before. I wish we could get results. My cousin said they were going to test them for two different kinds. One is worse than the other but both bad.

16. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Could be a variant of EHD or might be the fact the insect (midge) population is up this year due to a warmer than normal last winter.

17. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    Basically they said the only want to do test if the deer is either alive or within 12 hours. He said there have been over 50 calls about it this year.

18. LungBlood

LungBlood 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2010
    Florence
    Not looking good.

19. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Only time will tell.

20. mike243

mike243 Spike

Apr 2, 2007
    when it hit here several years ago I drove thru Chuck Swan wma & you couldn't go more than a few hundred yards without smelling a dead dear,im not sure how many were est to have died from it but it had to be a lot.We don't have a high population on this end of the state to begin with so it hurt pretty bad