Eastern Kentucky Public Land

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Buckeye151, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Buckeye151

Buckeye151 Fawn

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Eastern Kentucky Public Land?

Has anyone here spent much time in the Paintsville WMA? I usually hunt around Cave Run Lake but I want to expand a little this year. I was reading the Kentucky division of wildlife site and it didnt look like to far of a drive. Also, does anyone know any other good public land in the north eastern part of the state?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I've hunted Paintsville often. There's lots of birds there and if you've got a boat you can get to some unpressured birds pretty easy. Dewey Lakw WMA is about 10 miles up the road from Paintsville and it has a lot of birds as well. Dewey has less access from the road than Paintsville but again, if you've got a boat your in business. Yatesville Lake WMA is about 25 miles north of Paintsville and it too has many birds. Again, if you've got a boat you're better off. If I can help in any other way, just let me know. I live in Paintsville.

3. Buckeye151

Buckeye151 Fawn

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks for the post. What is the hunting pressure like in the mentioned areas? Cave run Lake area seems to be getting crowded.

4. Highbow

Highbow BBBC Members

Dec 16, 2001
    Staffordsville, Ky.
    I live about 1/2 mile from Paintsville WMA. Many areas won't have any pressure and some of the others will see daily hunting. It should be alright early and tends to be about a week before they get real wise.

5. mounting man

mounting man BBBC Members

Jan 19, 2004
    Sitka, Ky
    I too live in the paintsville area and will suggest a boat to be your best bet as most areas that are easily accessible are hunted pretty hard. There are lots of birds here and according to a buddy just in my shop, they were really active yesterday morning as he claimed to have heard at least a dozen. Yatesville is also a great place especially with a boat, drop in at rich creek and you won't need to go far. If you don't have a boat there is still some good hunting around the Irish creek area. Hope this helps and if you need info feel free to contact.