Double D Game Ranch??

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by westkybanded, Sep 27, 2007.

1. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    These folks seem to have leased up most of the ground surrounding my farm in Hopkins Co. Wondering if they are a legit operation? I'm seeing from their website that they are offering "free range" elk and bison hunts along with deer and turkey.

2. Louhunter

Louhunter 8 pointer

Feb 11, 2003
    Louisville, Kentucky.
    The Elk hunts would be interesting, especially after they just busted the guy earlier this week with the trailer full of Elk and other animals. I may be wrong, but I did not think "Game Farms" were legal in Kentucky. I remember many years ago, that somone wanted to start a Hunting Lodge such as they have in Tennessee with Hogs, Goats, and the like and it was turned down by KDFW. But what do I know!!!!

3. KYDUX

KYDUX 6 pointer

Aug 13, 2004
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    game farm legal with right permits

game farm with captive or domestic cervids not legal

IN KY

4. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Well, due to some theft on our farm of hunting equipment recently, I'm wondering about their scruples more than their permits. I sure wouldn't care if an elk or bison got loose and happened onto greener pastures...

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The term "free range" would seem to imply no fences. You may have more elks and buffs than you can count.

6. Split_Ear

Split_Ear 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    So. Central Kentucky
    I assume this is the same place? It states High Fence.

Double D Ranch would like to welcome you to a premier hunting paradise located in Western Kentucky. Chad Faulkner, avid hunter and guide, and David Donaldson Rancher and Farmer will be teaming up together to bring you some of the best hunting Kentucky has to offer. Farming, being the primary business in this area, provides plenty of groceries for the abundant game located in this area.

We take pride in our herd, and continue to feed once the crops are harvested. With over 6000 acres of crop and woodlands, Double D is primarily a bow hunting operation. We believe in only harvesting mature animals.

We also offer a guaranteed hunt for trophy whitetail, Buffalo, and Bull Elk. These hunts are 1on1 guided, high fence, in a sanctuary area. Rifle, bow, and muzzleloader are permitted on these hunts.

For all you die-hard turkey hunters, we are loaded with eastern. Limited availability.

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    I doubt that they have 6,000 acres under HIGH fence, so the buffs would be the same as cows. Pick, pay and shoot. I wouldn't exactly call it hunting?

8. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    I agree!

I wonder about this though.....

Also HOW can they sell "Elk hunts" when they're in Western Ky and the Elk zones are clearly defined in Eastern Ky ONLY???

I wonder just "how legal" this all is?

9. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    I know they don't have the border between us "high" fenced or otherwise.

I just hope I don't find out that they had anything to do with my little cousin's stand being stolen.....

10. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
  11. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

From the pics on thier website the elk look the same way. Nice photography too in the deer section, tounges hangin out, hanging out of the back of trucks. Very profesional lookin :rolleyes:

12. Where in Hopkins are you located?:confused::confused::confused:

13. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Our farm is near the Webster/Hopkins line on Hwy 814 in Providence.

14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    So if one of the elk got out and you knew it came from there, would you still need the out of zone permit to shoot it?

What's the regs say about a wild bison?

15. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Shoot them....ask questions later. The bison would be legal, the elk might need an out of zone permit?????

16. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Don't know about the out of zone elk since it's probably classified as livestock.

As far as the bison, I don't think anyone is assuming that they have wild bison.

17. It's my understanding that with the Elk, all you would need is your Elk Lottery ticket. And to throw a curve ball in this whole thing, what if you shot it on the land you live on? :rolleyes:

18. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    I see you're from Manitou... Those guys have a place in Nebo as well.

19. I'm actually closer to Hanson. Corner of Buntin Schoolhouse & Antioch Church Road. :D

20. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    I believe I read somewhere only a small portion of their land is high fence, making it more of a canned hunt. I do not believe they have 6,000 continuous acres either. If anything most of it is agriculture acreage that can add up.