Does deer eat buckeyes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bowhunter12, Sep 8, 2011.

1. bowhunter12

bowhunter12 Fawn

Dec 29, 2010
    the reason i asked I fould a spot in the woods. the ground was loaded.
    some was eating on them.

thanks for your input and help

2. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    I have some some on my land and they are alway gone or broken up. If I had to guess I would say yes but I have never seen them eat them, but I don't hunt that area. It also does not look like squirrel has been eating them.

3. archeratarch

archeratarch Banned

May 15, 2011
    I think they are poisonous to most animals, if they aren't they are high in tannic acid and be bitter to the taste, so I'd suspect not?

4. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I've always heard that half of the nut is poisonous. I've seen squirrels pack them around, I think they eat the good half.

5. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

We've got several buckeye trees on our farm. One tree is in a small oak grove. On several occasions, I've watched deer feed on the acorns, but I've never seen one ever eat a buckeye. Those buckeyes sit there month after month, so I'd say no, they don't eat them and if they can and/or do, buckeyes are WAY down their list of preferred food sources.

6. quackwhacknstack

quackwhacknstack 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2009
    My guess is that deer are like humans........ Can't stand a buckeye.

7. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I think coyotes eat them, I don't know about the other animals.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Wouldn't that be considered cannibalism?

9. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I wouldn't think so but then again I did watch a small 6 pointer chew on a shelf mushroom years ago.

10. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Back up in Indiana I had several Horse Chestnut trees planted. However nothing touched the large chestnuts. Must have been too bitter for them.

11. whitetail81

whitetail81 6 pointer

Dec 18, 2010
    Scott County
    Now that's funny, but I'd say no and if they did it would be one of the last foods available.

12. bowhunter12

bowhunter12 Fawn

Dec 29, 2010
    Thanks for the replies I just was'nt sure what could be eating them. I wonder how they got there name buckeye's

13. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Buckeyes are toxic to most animals especially humans. Before they can be ingested they must be roasted and bleached. The toxin is called aesculin, and affects the nervous system. Incoordination and staggering, weakness and trembling, dilated pupils, depression or hyperexcitability, coma and death may all result from buckeye poisoning. GI signs are also common: dogs may have severe gastroenteritis (vomiting and diarrhea), while horses exhibit colic.

Oddly enough, squirrels can and do eat them and don't seem to exhibit any effects from poisoning.

14. WKYHNTR

WKYHNTR 8 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Muhlenberg
    does wont eat them but bucks will............

15. jporter1

jporter1 Banned

Aug 31, 2011
    Squirrels will eat them, especially red ones. I have never seen anything else eat them.

16. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Years ago, one was found on the interstate. It was rolling very slowly in the left lane, so they called it a Buckeye.