Does anyone know KY's knife laws?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Art, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I bought an OTF (switchblade) knife yesterday. Admittedly I don't know much about these knives or the state laws concerning them. After surfing the net a bit, it seems these knives are pretty much illegal in most of the country (including TX) for everyone except LEO and military persons. I also read that I cannot send it back to the manufacturer for warranty work without a letter confirming my LEO/Military status?

I'd hate to think that I can buy/ own one of these knives in KY, but not be able to get if fixed should it break because of the laws. I think if I can own it here, the manufacturer should take that into consideration should I ever need warranty work. I guess there is also the possibility that I was mistakenly sold this knife, but I can't find any info on it.

2. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I think you need a CCDW license to be legal to carry a switchblade.

Rob

3. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I got that covered. I bought the knife on a whim without researching it first. I was kinda wondering if I was going to have to fill out paperwork, similar to when you buy a gun, but I guess not.

4. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    I researched this back 15 or so years ago when I bought one in Germany and snuck it back in my luggage.

If you want to carry it in your pocket, you'll need a CCW IF the blade is over 4" long. Otherwise, the Commonwealth does not consider it a deadly weapon.

5. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    3.95 inches. Now if I can just figure out if federal laws will allow the company to honor the lifetime warranty.

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I use to carry one all the time ART..You got your permit so everything is cool..They are a lot handier than folks believe they would be ;)

7. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Here's the particular statute that defines deadly weapons in Kentucky -

KRS 500.080(4)

(4) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following:
    (a) A weapon of mass destruction;
    (b) Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other serious physical injury, may be discharged;
    (c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;
    (d) Billy, nightstick, or club;
    (e) Blackjack or slapjack;
    (f) Nunchaku karate sticks;
    (g) Shuriken or death star; or
    (h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material;

Since an auto doesn't meet the definition of "ordinary" or "hunting" knife, it's classified as a deadly weapon. As such, you need a CCDW permit to carry one. Since you stated you already have a permit, you're good to go.

Be careful carrying it across the river...I'm not sure of Indiana's knife laws. That trip to Bass Pro could end badly..

8. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Being as how Art is from Lexingstan, it's kind of a moot point, but wouldn't the term "ordinary" be up to a judge's discretion?

9. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    id say if you can gut a deer with it its a hunting knife.the law is really vauge.if you have a good lawer and alot of money you could get buy with it.

10. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Well, since the judge wouldn't be the one arresting him, and I'm sure there's some relevant case law in Kentucky concerning auto openers....and no, I'm not gonna look it up. But, since I've seen folks be arrested on it, you can simply take my word for it; or not.

Oh, and last I checked, I-64 was easily reached from the Winchester road area of Lexington. You can travel west on it for about an hour, then turn north onto I-65, and go right across the bridge to Indiana. I'm sure more than one person has made a weekend trip to Bass Pro from Lexington.

Of course, if Art lived on the other side of town, he could go on I-64 one of a couple of different ways. I-75 will connect to it, or he can drive down US 60, thru Versailles, and pick it up in Frankfort. See, I grew up in Lexington, and learned how to drive down there. I've made the trip to Louisville and back more times than I can count. It's fairly easy to find your way up here, and I'd think you'd realize that, living in Frankfort. I was just trying to help the guy out, by reminding him that Bass Pro is in a different state, with different laws.

As far as your comment concerning a judge...yeah, the judge will have the final say. But, that won't keep your rear end out of jail for the evening. I can guarantee that if you wanted to argue the fine points of case law on the side of the road, you're going to jail. LIke the saying goes, "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride."

Finally, I don't understand what your problem is with me. You seem to follow me around various threads, and post snide, retarded comments. It's fine if you disagree with me, but I'm pretty sure I know the laws of this fine Commonwealth. I haven't had a case dismissed on any technical points of the case as of yet. While I'm merely a local corrections officer, I did make it a point to understand exactly what laws I'm enforcing, be it on or off duty. If you'd like to debate the issues a bit more, feel free to meet me for lunch one day. We can have a nice talk about things like civilized humans, and quit having a pissing contest on this forum.

I simply posted the law concerning deadly weapons in Kentucky, and stated that an auto-opener is considered a deadly weapon. If you have case law showing otherwise, please post a cite for it. Otherwise, quit cluttering up the thread, simply because you dislike me, and by extension, what I say. Have a wonderful day....and I'll be in Frankfort on Wednesday, if you want to meet for lunch then. There's a nice Mexican joint on 60, right next to a gym where all the cops hang out at...my buddy introduced me to it last time I was down there. Good food, reasonably priced.

11. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.

Eh???? Holy crap fella... I was just asking where the definition of "ordinary" came from. The only shot I took was in kind of making fun of Lexington.

You ok? Sorry. Next time, I'll take your word as the last in a thread and comment no further.

12. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Thanks for the help guys. I still am curious as to why I can buy the knife, no questions asked, if it is considered in the same category as a handgun? Seems like I should have filled out some paperwork or something.

That said, all the places on the internet I look at say the black box Benchmade's are made ONLY for LEO, and Military. There is no disclaimer about shipping to states where they are legal, they just don't apparently.

It's all very confusing to me, especially since I can't find any state law that deals SPECIFICALLY with OTF knives. I agree w/ WKB that the definition is vague and open to interpretation . I would never argue with a law enforcement officer if it became an issue, but if I was able to ascertain what the specific laws are, it wouldn't even be a concern. Leaving the state is an entirely different matter. I rarely do, but it would probably be easier to find the reciprocating laws then it would be to clarify our own.

13. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Why would an officer need to be going through your pockets in the first place ;)

The way I see it, why create the environment for a problem.... Say you DID have to use it for something other than cutting an apple. Do you feel like you can explain to the prosecution in the wrongful death trial regarding the guy who's guts you just spilled out all over broadway why you thought it necessary to carry such an exotic and obviously dangerous and evil weapon when a normal (ordinary) pocket knife would have done the same thing? It almost makes it look like you were just waiting for an excuse to shank somebody.

I think the auto-opener should probably be relegated to arround the house fun for when the buddies are over for the "Hey, look at this!".

14. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY

No way!:D I have my CCDW permit, might as well use it. I suppose the same could be said about me packing my Glock 27. All I know is that IF I ever need to use a weapon against another man, there won't be any question whether or not it was necessary. You won't catch me shooting through a locked door at some drunk SOB on my front porch and then waiting for a grand jury to decide my fate.:eek:

Besides, when my friends come over and I show them that knife, I get the same response..."YOU'RE AN IDIOT!" "YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR THAT?":D Oh well, as long as it makes me happy that's all that matters.

15. WHOHA

WHOHA Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Breckinridge Co.
    Art, what kind of OTF knife did you buy, I bought a MICROTECH ultra tech about 2 months ago, and it is sweet, over priced but sweet. I do not have my ccdw permit at this time so it has to stay in the gun safe and out of my pocket, for now.

16. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I got the Benchmade Infidel 3300. Also overpriced, and definitely not the best knife out there but I like it a lot. I just got tired of gawking at it in the display case month after month so I pulled the trigger on it finally.

17. WHOHA

WHOHA Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Breckinridge Co.
    Yeah, it may be the most expensive thing I have ever bought from a gun shop that don't go BANG, the warranty on mine also says they will gladly repair any knife for a lawman or service man... but nothing about a civilian it is kind of funny how we can buy em but we better hope they don't break!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  18. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Yeah, I emailed Benchmade about the warranty and have yet to get a response.:rolleyes: I even told them I was planning to return the knife if the warranty was not valid, which was a lie. I guess I could always get one of my police or military buddies to send it in for me.

19. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

In Kentucky a switchblade can be carried as long as it is not conceled (same as a handgun). Carrying in a sheath, on your belt is legal.
    In the pocket it is considered conceled and you need a CCW.

20. talaananthes

talaananthes Fawn

Sep 22, 2010
    Hi,

Sorry for the necro . . . I was ressearching Kentucky weapons laws, just moved back home from college, and came across this thread. I love Kentucky's liberal laws re weapons, and am planning to take the CCW class soon, but in this thread I saw that people were saying things specifically about Lexington (which is where I live). Other than discharging firearms within the urban service zone (which is a very sensible law), are there other Lexington laws above and beyond state laws? I thought that there was a State preemption of local laws that forbade more restrictive local ordinances except regarding the negligent discharge of firearms?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Ben