Deer Mites

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by coldfeet24, Sep 16, 2008.

1. coldfeet24

coldfeet24 Fawn

Oct 22, 2007
    PLEASE HELP!!!!! Holy cow, went scouting this past weekend and got into a mess of 'em. :eek: I guess that is what they are. They looked like ticks, only as small as the point of a needle. I am itching sooo bad. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

2. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    Use the wal-mart brand equate Lice shampoo. Apply it to the skin and leave on for 10 minutes, than rinse off with water. Works fast..

I've tried the bleach bath and clear nail polish method. Lice shampoo works..

3. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    They are ticks.

1st stage larvae deer ticks. You can get lyme disease from them. Go to the doctor.

4. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
  5. Finally.....Someone got it right. They usually apper in the hottest, driest time of summer.

6. kyhunter28

kyhunter28 8 pointer

Oct 23, 2002
    ky.
    Is that what is going on with the top of my feet, left one itched so bad I cratched the layer of skin of, right foot just has a bunch of red spots.

Attached Files:

7. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
    Looks close enough like it to me. I had lil red dots all over my feet

8. kyhunter28

kyhunter28 8 pointer

Oct 23, 2002
    ky.
    I know they itch like crazy. Looks like I got lucky if thats all I got of them.

9. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    use the Lice shampoo, you will sleep thru the night.

10. Mudbone

Mudbone 8 pointer

Feb 14, 2005
    Bullitt County, Ky
    Handheld grinder with a wire cup and a nice soothing bleach bath always works for me.:D

11. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Anti-fungal athletes foot cream will stop the itch almost immediately and they will heal much faster. Just put a little on the bumps and rub it in. IT WORKS!!

12. doubleJ

doubleJ 6 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Boyle Co.
    ticks

I got this same thing last week and it drove me crazy. Use the lice shampoo and get the Benadryl gel at wal-mart (extra strength),it has a green top. This is as close as you can get to what the doctor will give. Good luck.

13. coldfeet24

coldfeet24 Fawn

Oct 22, 2007
    Thanks

I appreciate all the info. I tried chiggerex,benadryl,seabreeze,bleach,and butterknife:D. I am sleeping at night, so something is working. Thanks again.

14. pedigo

pedigo 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2002
    munfordville, ky, USA.
    Micanzole for jock itch works real good. Friend of mine is a dermatologist and that was his suggestion.

15. kywallace69

kywallace69 10 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    That is the reason that I wait until October or cooler weather to hit the stands.

16. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    They look like Chigger bites to me. I got them too on my ankles. Use some OTC Maximum Strength "Anti-Itch" Allergic Cream containing atleast 2% Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. This should give you some relief.

17. longhollowhunter

longhollowhunter 6 pointer

Jul 25, 2006
    somerset ky
    seed ticks, we're covered up with them

18. Mount-N-Man

Mount-N-Man 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2004
    I got covered by the things one year at West Ky. WMA. I don't ever want to get them again.

19. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    This post brings back nightmares of bloodtrailing one of Nutcase's does a few years ago. I got eat up and some research and a trip to the doctor led me to believe they were turkey mites....Doesn't matter what they were, I still have scars on my thighs.....I smelled like clorox for a week, but it was the only thing that would slow the itch and kill some of those blasted things. I would pour clorox in the bath water and soak for a few minutes.....It gives me the willies just thinking about those things. My pant legs are always tucked in my boots when in the woods now!

20. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    My Brother was hunting Squirrels and sitting in a grove of pine trees. Well, he came back with numerious bites all over his forearms and around his waist. This mites seem to be in areas where there is a lot of pine trees.