Deer blind plans

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Xi Bowhunter, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Thanks to the guy in my deer blind question thread, I was finally able to decide on a size/layout of the blind I am wanting to build. Here are the plans, opinions are welcome! If this works out ok, I will build a larger one to over look our field that will hopefully be planted in corn/beans for next years season. (Note: This is not to scale)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. kissey_branch_hunter

kissey_branch_hunter 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2008
    thinking of building one as well, but would need to be 3 feet or so off ground to increase viability over the rolling hay fields where i hunt. Is this designed for bow hunting (i.e. position size of the shooting windows, etc.), or for multi weapon use?

Any estimate on cost of supplies?
    Thanks

3. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm

This blind will see mostly M/L and modern firearm use, although I may hunt with my X-Bow out of it as well.

My cost is cheap because I got the plywood given to me. All I really need are some 2x4's. I have enough plywood to make 3-4 of these blinds, but all I have for the frames are 2x6 boards. I have to buy some 2x4's this weekend so I can get started on this one.

The blind I am going to build overlooking our field will be 12 ft off the ground and probably a little bigger. I am using telephone poles to elevate it.

4. kissey_branch_hunter

Sep 18, 2008
    thanks, i may steal your plans if you don't mind?

5. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Just make sure that door is big enough to get a couch through it!:) lol!!

6. milkman

milkman Fawn

Nov 24, 2009
    jenkins, KY
    i've built a few of these things guys. for bowhunting you are gonna want to make it another 2 feet wider/deeper. you will have way too much trouble trying to draw back in a 4 foot wide space. the ones i've built that were 4 feet wide, i have to open the door up to have enough room to draw back. at these window heights, which are fine for gun hunting, are gonna require you to squat with using a bow. i like to cut out a 1 foot wide slot in the center of normal window that goes on up to 6'4". also, when you cut out the windows, make sure to cut it out in one whole piece and then use hinges (which you can get for a buck) to hang the cut out right back in the hole. this is much quieter and more convenient than just sliding them in and out. make this hinged too so you can open and close it when need be. if you are gonna use a standard door that you have laying around then you'll also wanna go ahead and make it 7 foot tall in the back and 7'2" in the front so that you don't have to cut the door down. that's plenty of slope for the rain to drain too. make sure to use shingles instead of tin for the roof. on the rainy days you'll appreciate it. just trying to add a few things that i've had to tweak on mine over the few i've built. hope this helps.

7. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm

Steal away! that is what they are there for.:)

I thought you said I had to leave room for a sink and stove?:D

8. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Thank you for the tips! I don't think I will be using this one for bowhunting, as it will be right on the ground, but I will remember your tips for the one that is going up over our field.

9. milkman

milkman Fawn

Nov 24, 2009
    jenkins, KY
    no problem on the tips. kisseybranchhunter asked the question about bowhunting out of it. just giving him my advice on it.

10. kissey_branch_hunter

Sep 18, 2008
    yeah, just wanted to make sure that the dimensions, etc were good for gun hunting. thanks all

P.S. i use to live in jenkins for about 6 mos.

11. plowboy

plowboy 10 pointer

Xi, please PM me with directions or GPS position, am looking forward to next season.

12. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I would build it 6'X6' for gun hunting as well. I have a 8'X4' that is not large enough.

Another tip, do not cut your window openings until after you put your seats in the box. Trust me on this one. Sit in the seat, and then mark your widow openings. When I built mine, I also put a shelf on the outside of the shooting window. I put sand bags on the shelf and it really helps with steadying the rifle.

I did as above too...cut the window openings in one piece, then hinge them. Mine open upward. I put a length of rope through a hole above the window opening and attached it to the door. I have a nail on the inside that I can attach the rope to, allowing me to adjust the door as needed for different sun angles and lighting situations. It also helps with keeping the rain out while you are hunting.

13. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..

Good advice. I have a 6x6 and a 4x6. The 4x6 is too small for 2 guys and all the stuff. I promise you will be much happier if you build it bigger.

14. milkman

milkman Fawn

Nov 24, 2009
    jenkins, KY
    i agree exactly with both of ya. especially about cutting out the windows after you have it built. i've had to modify a couple of mine due to cutting them too high or low depending on what your seating will be in them. 8X6 would be excellent size for 2 people. 4X6 or 6X6 are excellent for 1 person.

15. jblack1

jblack1 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill

I would probably use the $5 plastic chairs, you can get them a any Dollar store, that way if anyone does break in a steal or break them it wouldn't be a big expense to replace and they're all basically the same height.

16. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I have the adirondac style plastic chairs in the hotdog stand. Easy on the back, and inexpensive.

17. The Truth

The Truth 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2009
    X2! I have an 8x4 and when I put a chair in it there is not alot of room to scoot it back before it hits the wall, drives me crazy. I also put the windows 4' off the ground, just because they would be in the second or top piece of plywood, They where way to high. I had to find an extra tall bar stool, and I still had to build the floor up 6". I also made mine 8' tall in the front and 7' in the back, I cut a door 6'10" so I wouldn't smack my gun barrel getting in and out with it on my shoulder.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  18. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    one thing on the window height. If you plan on taking kids out of it, might make at least a section of window a little lower. most of ours are 40 inches or so high and they are a little tall for my 8 year old, he kind of has to stretch in his chair to get the rifle pointed down. a couple more inches lower would be a big help

19. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I just built one very much like your plans. I built on an old wagon running gear so I could easily move it. It's 6x8 with old storm windows with the bottom of the windows at 40" from the floor. An old office chair that is height adjustable works great and is comfy for those all day sits. Also had an old storm door and put it in one end. Of course I had to carpet it and put an lp gas heater inside. The roof is a shed roof like yours with 6" of drop over 6 Ft.span. Wagon running gears can be found cheap and it gets you off of the ground enough to see. I'm loving it so far. I also have a tower blind that's 15ft to the floor that is 4x8. I just kept the things that I liked about it and changed the things that I didn't as to suit me better. I'll try and get some pics up after T'giving.---Mike

20. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    When its cold and nasty or hunting after working 3rd shift, a box blind can get real comfortable...

Here's a couple I bulid...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009