Deeps gun store in lebanon

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by HUNTINGMAN, Feb 18, 2010.

1. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Anybody ever go to deeps gun and outdoor store in Lebanon? I went down there this morning looking to buy a gun with money in pocket. When I walked in there was about 10 or so guys sitting around shooting the bull. The guy behind the counter says can I help you,I told him what I was looking for and be said he might have a couple down there and that was it. The guy acted like he didn't care if he sold me a gun or not,he was more interested in his loafing crowd. He never got out of his seat to come help me or anything,I drove all the way from Harrodsburg to possibly buy a gun from him and he didn't even want to bother with me. Inturned aroun and walked right back out,after checking q few prices on my own. I'm glad I did,I came back to Harrodsburg and bought a gun that was 60$ more at deeps. I was just wondering if anyone ever went in there or maybe it was just a bad day for the guys there.

2. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Did you go to Hensley's?

3. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Yep,I always thought hensleys was high but he was cheaper than deeps and buds.

4. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Been to Deep's many many times..... Justin and Eddie are great folks and always treat me right!

You werent wearing a pink shirt or a Yankees ball cap were you?:D

5. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I figured they may be haveing a buisy morning. I don't wear pink and I hate baseball,so your answer is no.

6. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Guns stores and taxidermy shops seem to be a magnet for all the local BS'ers.:D

7. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    I have known eddie and justin for a long time. They have always been good to me.

8. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    Similar thing happened to me a few years ago at Tillford's Gun Shop on Fern Valley Rd. up in Louisiville. I walked in, money in pocket, but no one said squat to me. :mad: Stood there for a couple of minutes and then walked back out.

Another time I called Firearms Service Center in Louisville checking prices on a particular gun. Told the feller what I was wanting and he proceeded to tell me everything that was wrong with it. Told the feller that I was aware of the issues with earlier models of the gun, but everything that I had read and everyone that I had talked to about the newer models was good and without problems. Didn't seem to matter to him. Never did get a price out of him. The next day I went a put a deposit down at another place and had them order it for me.;)

I guess places like this do well enough with their existing customer base and don't have to worry about any new customers.

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I've found that most places won't tell you prices over the phone. They want you to come in there.

10. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    Every other place I called did, except Firearms Service Center. The guy was too busy telling me how bad the gun was. :D Funny thing though, I've run probably 2,500 rounds through it and haven't had any kind of issue. :rolleyes:

It's similar to when I was mounting a scope on a .444 Marlin. Went into a shop and told the feller I wanted steel rings and a steel base. He told me I probably needed the steel rings, but an aluminum base would be OK. :confused: Two things about that...... If you "need" steel rings, why would you settle for something softer where it attaches to the gun?? The other thing is that it shouldn't have mattered if I wanted GOLD rings & bases! That was what I, the customer, wanted and was willing to pay for.

11. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County

I have had that very same thing happen at tilford's. I stood in that store fatboy tilford vacuumed out his car, after about 10 minutes I left. That was my last trip there.

The only places that I have found thta wont give you a price over the phone is tilford's and Biff's. Been doing business with Junior for too long to worry about that.

12. chasinhornsnfans

chasinhornsnfans 6 pointer

May 16, 2008
    marion county
    have been there once or twice. only a few minutes from my house so thought it to be handy. but i have had pretty much the same experience. they are good people dont get me wrong, but it is hard to get help in there on anything.

13. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    I have been to Deep's a couple of times, but always with a friend, that he knew, so that might be the difference. Hensley's in Harrodsburg is a great choice though, he gets a lot of bussiness from me. A good, honest guy.

14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Guys, do NOT even get me started on bad service in a gun shop. Try being FEMALE and go shopping for a gun!!!!

Many years ago when I first decided to start deer hunting, I had a good friend who loaned me several rifles to try out, just so I could figure out what I wanted to hunt with, since I'd never shot anything bigger than a .22 at that point. He loaned me a .243, a .270, a .264 magnum, and a .30-06. I tried shooting them all & decided that I was most comfortable with the .30-06. Liked the way I was able to group the shots, the "reach out & touch it" factor, and the kick wasn't too bad. Spent hours at the range testing them out & consistently came back to the 30-06...

So... off I went to buy my first hunting rifle. I had the manufacturer, model, and caliber of the gun I wanted in my hand & even though I explained REPEATEDLY that I wanted to buy that particular gun because I'd been shooting it for a couple of weeks and really liked it, THREE shops REFUSED to sell it to me because "that's too big of a gun for a young woman." (I was about 30 at the time, only 5'3" and fairly small - but dangit, I'd been shooting that same gun & knew EXACTLY what I wanted!!!!)

First one insisted that I couldnt' shoot a gun that big and that I needed to buy a youth model. Awful funny considering I'd been putting bullets in about a 3" circle at about 200 yards with the gun they said I couldn't shoot! I finally gave up & walked out...

Second one tried to tell me that I didn't want a 30-06 and should buy a 270 instead. Nope, tried that, didn't like, want the da**ed 30-06. After putting up with their condescending attitude & arguing for about 15 minutes, I walked out...

After I was called "honey" 3 times in less than 5 minutes while once again trying to explain WHY I wanted that particular gun, I walked out of the 3rd store, spitting mad & cussing men all over the place!

I went home in disgust, called my friend who'd loaned me the rifles, and after he quit laughing, he sold me the one I'd been using for $300. I knew it was a good deal for a hunting rifle but didn't realize just how good it was for several months... I was at another friend's house & looking thru a copy of Gun Digest and was shocked to discover that he'd sold me a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in like-new condition for next to nothing!!!!!!! Called him up & asked if he'd known what he'd done & said "Yeah" that I deserved it after all the crap the stores put me thru & that he knew it'd get used & taken care of with me.

I lost track of that friend years ago but you know what? I'm still shooting that same rifle & have taken more deer than I can count with it. To this day, it's still the only one I'm comfortable shooting & picking it up is like putting on an old comfortable pair of boots. It's not too big for me, it's definitely not a youth model, and ya know, I can handle it just fine!!!!

15. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    Going to a gun store is getting way too similar to going to a car dealership anymore. :rolleyes:

16. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    No way will that rifle ever leave my hands. Took my first deer with it & will likely take my last... I've tried a couple of others for hunting over the years & just haven't been happy with them. I always come back to my old friend...

What made me mad is that I went thru the whole spiel about having borrowed guns & tried them out & this is what I want before even attempting to buy a rifle and all 3 of them then proceeded to argue with me and wouldn't listen when I kept telling them that I'd been shooting one for a couple of weeks & was perfectly happy with it, that I didn't want a youth model/270/whatever.

One of them even tried to get my husband into it by saying "You tell her..." At which point, my darling man wisely backed away & said "Hey, it's gonna be HER rifle & she's tried 'em all out & already knows what she wants!" Never tick off the wife who taught you to shoot! LOL!

I hope things have gotten better. I've only bought one gun at a store in recent years & either the store I went to had a better attitude or things have changed. I walked in, saw the shotgun I'd been looking for for months (a Winchester 1300 12 gauge) hanging on the wall, pointed at it, said "I want that!!!" and the salesman got it down for me, went over all the main features (which I already knew since I was buying it to replace one my daughter has claimed which causes family issues when we go skeet shooting), confirmed that was what I wanted, rang up & sale, and sent me on my way. No arguing. Just a simple explananation of what I was buying.

It was a nice change....

17. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I love Hensley's, but he's a little too far from here. I have had excellent service at Bud's police supply here in Lex recently, and Gilbert's in Frankfort over the past 15 or 20 years.

Last time I went to Gilberts, we had been to Bud's in Paris and Mike's in Frankfort looking at Glocks for my buddies. Turned out Glock was offering a special discount to military members that the other stores had failed to mention. Not only did they give my buddy an absolute smokin deal on a new G23, they also gave my other non-military buddy a free high-cap magazine with his G23 as well. We all left very impressed that day.

18. finelydeerhunting

finelydeerhunting 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    Finley, KY
    Eddie is a loafer and B.S.'er himself. He was prolly tied up in conversation, he's a bit on the lazy side. He's always done me the same way, like I'm not even there. If Justin is there, though, I've always been take care of. But, for the most part I get my archery equipment at Crazy Horse in Campbellsville and my gun/reloading at either Downey's in Columbia or Keene's Depot in Bardstown. All 3 are 5 stars by me.

19. TarKennels

TarKennels 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2009
    Campbellsville ky
    This is a Bullsh** thread !!!!!!! How many shops can you go in to and have the freadom to walk behiend the counter and look and feel of every gun there, without being harrasssed ,NONE yes Ed is a Lazy old man, That needs knee surgery, but is a Great story tellar, Super Great friend , As far as J.D he works his A** off in there, you won't find a better customer service anywere, and thats a Fact,

The Loafer
    BooBoo Brady

20. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Main problem that causes most people stay away from "Mom and Pop" places. That goes from Gun Shops to Restaurants. They want to alienate you while BS'ing with their regulars. I've honestly walked into some places like that and gotten the look from the owner like why are you here? One particular liquor store around here like that too. Owner always has a couple buddies sittin' at the counter with him drinking beer and always less than welcoming. It's annoying.

Don't know this gun store or these guys at all though.