Crossbow Regulations

Discussion in 'Crossbow Forum' started by jpd2atl, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :confused: :confused: :confused: Now that the dust has settled in Frankfort, what are the regulations as to who , what, & when can use a crossbow? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

Anyone can use a crossbow......Oct.1 -Oct. 22....then it comes back in Nov. 11 -Dec. 31.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  3. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

JD - Just in case he didn't know, you can also use xbows during the ML seasons.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    buck.....I believe those dates I listed include all the muzzleloader opportunities anyway.

I will also add that crossbows are legal equipment during the Oct.28 - Nov. 3 ...early fall shotgun turkey.

Just a personal opinion but it looks like that would be hard on the CO's to enforce when they encounter someone in the field with a crossbow during these dates....are they deer hunting ???....or....are they turkey hunting???

I think most sportsmen would abide by the rules but a crossbow & a few diaphram calls on you... would be hard pressed to prove otherwise....unless they catch you dragging a deer back to the truck. It seems to me it would have been better to run the crossbow season concurrent from Oct. 1 through at least the last day of the early fall shotgun or better yet run the crossbow season concurrent from Oct 1 - Dec. 31.

Not trying to rehash the old debate...but there are enforcement issues with this and enforcing methods exemption permits during the remainder that I'm sure the CO's would rather be focusing on more important issues. Again.....just my opinion.

5. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    I agree, problems and confusion, but that should get it changed rather quickly to at least Oct1 - Dec 31 IF not the entire season as it should be......As more people learn exactly what they really are and are not....it won't be such a "social issue" any longer.....the facts and data are on our side on all of it.......

I have to think it's either that or another changing the zones again in a few months?? Most I think would prefer expansion over going say from a 2 to a Zone 1????

The KDFWR will maintain the deer herds one way or the other(if not using addtional methods) to think otherwise is not really thinking this whole thing through, and avoiding the "big picture" IMHO

6. Sevcrist

Sevcrist Fawn

Jan 30, 2005
    JDMiller,

You said: I will also add that crossbows are legal equipment during the Oct.28 - Nov. 3 ...early fall shotgun turkey.

Where are you getting this information from? When I look at the link below on the KDFW website it doesn't appear that way.

By the way, I'm all for full crossbow expansion.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/prop06seasons.asp?lid=1330&NavPath=C128C166

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Crossbow is legal during any gun season for deer or turkey. This years first fall turkey season is Oct. 28 until NOV. 3RD, so crossbow is legal then for turkeys. It's also archery deer, so there has been an enforcement problem created by the change.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

Sevcrist.......if firearms are legal equipment ....crossbows can be used unless it was amended to address this particiular issue. Until some one can tell me otherwise or post up different .....you can use a crossbow to hunt turkeys Oct. 28 through Nov. 3 .

9. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    I guess in their "haste" they overlooked that?

10. Ky mustang

Ky mustang Banned

Oct 13, 2004
    west Ky
    Now we all know there are no crossbow hunters that would do such a thing, and the shotgun would be a longer range tool, so if someone was going to poach a deer they would just sneak a slug along with them:D.Oh me now we got to worry about squirrel, rabbit, quail, and duckhunters:eek:. Don't forget them pesky raccon and opossum hunters that carry flashlights with them.

11. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Crossbow hunters are just a segment of the population, some of them are poachers, some aren't -- just as the common archer is that will shoot an extra buck every now and then, carry a handgun every now and then, not tag every now and then, etc.

12. Ky mustang

Ky mustang Banned

Oct 13, 2004
    west Ky
    I see no enforcement problem then, because of one certain incident

13. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    It's my guess the CO's will see the problem, how do they PROVE that what the hunter was after wasn't turkey?? ;)

IF they don't have problems, things may well, stay the same, I'd guess they will and things will change very quickly because of that fact......

WE don't have nor need to see the problem it's not our job to enforce those laws, those who's jobs it is , however don't need things so "open" a "straight through" season would have eliminated at best a real and potential problem......why wasn't that done? (Oct 1 - Dec 31).......

"Haste" or was it more??

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Ky mustang...... you may be right and since I'm the one that brought it up .... it was just my opinion. I may be burrowing my head in the sand somewhat but I do believe most hunters play by the rules. However the fact is.... our Co's are spread pretty thin as it is. You can look at many threads posted on this site alone concerning illegal activity and get a good dose of reality.

I never stated a crossbow hunter , bowhunter , rabbit hunter was a poacher but inturn if you were to see a hunter packing a crossbow on Nov. 2....what would you assume?? It's a different observation if you see a guy packing a shotgun with a few beagles and a dog box in his truck or a bowhunter coming out of the woods packing a climbing stand. It's still my impression .... If I were a CO....I would have to take the time to check him out....which probably would'nt take a few minutes of his time ...but thats a few minutes that would be unnecessary if the season had been based on reason instead of trying to keep a hunter from using a crossbow during the best opportunity there is to harvest a buck before modern gun opens.

Those three weeks will be a point of debate from now on as far as I'm concerned and rightfully so. That being said..... the compromise has opened the door to gain more interest which will lead to more support to gain some of this time period...but for now.. we have what we have..and it will be used...its just sad this whole debate could have been ended with a few days in early November. Again....its just my opinion and time will tell the real story. Who knows....modern gun , muzzleloader or youth.. may get a bigger share of this time in the future.

15. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

JD - You may be right that the regs may cause enforcement problems, but I don't really see it becoming a major problem. Right now, a guy can sit in the woods on Nov. 2nd with a rifle/xbow/shotgun/ML and say he's after coyotes.

I doubt a poacher is going to hang up his xbow even if they weren't allowed for turkeys. And anyone in the woods with a xbow on Nov. 5th should be checked. I'd sure as hell be thinking that they're up to no good.

I mean, how many people will actually go out and specifically hunt for turkeys in the fall with a xbow, maybe 50 statewide????

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  16. Ky mustang

Ky mustang Banned

Oct 13, 2004
    west Ky
    The reason we have co's is to see that the regulations are followed.You are just worried about one little thing. Think about waterfowl season canvasback season usually does not come in until later on. The dept puts the trust in waterfowl hunters will not take any before then. Same with small game hunters, and as bf pointed out coyote hunters. Nothing stating you can not take a hi p rifle out hunting that time of year. So are we going to worry about a short range weapon that a very very few use to begin with. I see nothing to worry about, our deer herd is doing great already right, and if a few dishonest crossbow hunters can hurt our herd we may need to rethink the whole thing dont ya think. I am confident our co's can keep things under control as it is aren't you?

17. Ky mustang

Ky mustang Banned

Oct 13, 2004
    west Ky
    Interesting ehe?

18. Ky mustang

Ky mustang Banned

Oct 13, 2004
    west Ky
    Just curious was it a problem last year?

19. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    BF..... I cant believe you said that...I thought it would be thousands .:D LOL...just could'nt resisist.

All jokes aside...... not very many and even though the turkeys were a focal point of the x-bow opposition.... the majority of crossbow hunters will always be focusing on deer with a occasional hunter getting lucky on a bird passing by their stand. As far as the early shotgun season......I would say it will run about even with amount of hunters that will always hunt with a bow ...even when firearms are allowed. There will always be a few but not many.

Enforcement issues of overlapping methods....will always be there when were trying to squeeze every one into the same box and not interfere with those two weeks prior to modern gun. I just think its would be one less thing to enforce if crossbows were legal for deer into November . A few days shared into November considering the early fall shotgun turkey season ...would not have had that much of a effect and all in all....we would not be having this discussion.

20. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Nope....not worried at all. I will also add that your statments here are on the money . I hunted with a crossbow last season legally and will do so every year. I was merely pointing out ....in my opinion a possible enforcement issue that should have been considered. Most existing users like myself...resorted to crossbows for medical reasons and we will be out there anyway. There will be new users....you can bet on that ...but crossbows will not have the effect thats been used against them. Again...time will tell the rest of the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.