Crispy Fried Pig Ear Strips

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by pentail, Feb 8, 2014.

1. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Used this recipe from Garden and Gun Magazine. http://gardenandgun.com//blog/super-bowl-snack-crispy-pig-ears

Where they good? Absolutely sublime! Maybe the most outstanding piece of porcine goodness I have ever put in my mouth. Imagine a cross of bacon, fried chicken and fresh out of the fryer pork cracklins.

Were they worth the 21 or so hour cook time? I don't know. Ask me again in a few days when the flavor lingers on my mind but the memories of the work have faded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Man, I'd tear them up. Crisy, crunchy, porky, awesomeness!

3. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    21 hour cook time!!??

4. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    yep, fifteen minute boil, 20 hour braise time sealed up in a pan with garlic, onions and what not, 15 minute bake at 400 to dry them out, into the fridge for a few hours to cool. Then you slice, dip in buttermilk and seasoned flour and deep fry.

5. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    Looks great...but that is a lot of work for a little bit of food.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    What is a braise?

7. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Put it in a deep pan with an inch or so of water, in this case some onion garlic and a few other things for flavor, and seal them up tight so that the liquid can't escape. Usually they get cooked for a long time.

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I don't know...pork rinds are two bucks at the store. Only prep needed is to rip the plastic wrap off.

9. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I investigated this for rabbit recipes and it's almost the same thing as using a crock pot. I browned and braised some rabbit last week in a cast iron bean pot. The rabbit tasted great and was tender as could be but I did not like how the breading just turned to mush. Will try it again this week with no breading. I may brown, braise, and then grill it.

10. ez

ez 8 pointer

your getting down to eating everything x-cept the "squeal"......lol...........like it...

11. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Try braising in the same skillet you brown in. Brown in oil, add a little water, chicken stock, or, for a German flair, a little beer. Cover tightly with lid and let simmer for a bit, then take lid off and turn up the heat a bit. As the water evaporates, the crust will begin to brown and crisp back up

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  12. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    If u do this be very careful on how high u turn up the heat. As the last of the water evaporates it most likely will splatter. Best to use a screen on top of the skillet to prevent getting burnt or making a huge mess.

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Looks good but it would cost 50 buck in propane or electricity to cook it 20 hours...WOW!