Coyote Hunting at Night

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Yote Killer, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Yote Killer

Yote Killer Fawn

Dec 5, 2010
    Shelby Co.
    I wrote an email to the KDFW.....

Hello I am a resident of Shelby County and an avid hunter. I hunt almost everything from rabbits to deer. What I really love is coyote hunting. I was just wondering why we are not allowed to hunt coyotes at night in Kentucky when the coyote is primarily a nocturnal animal and does most of its feeding at night. Hunting them during the day time can be pretty frustrating sometimes when you know the coyote has gone to bed for the day. It just seems to with the growing population of coyotes and the damage they cause to livestock herds that people would want more of them gone. I know its legal in Indiana to hunt them at night and they cant even use a high powered rifle to deer hunt so what's the deal. Thank you ..

This is their response....

This email is in response to recent requests to allow night hunting of coyotes in Kentucky. The Law Enforcement and Wildlife Divisions of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) have discussed this issue and are in agreement in our following response. The KDFWR passed statutes (KRS 150.360, 150.395) in 1990 to prohibit the use of spotlights to shine wildlife at night. These statutes were passed to protect the rights of landowners and to reduce poaching of turkey, deer, and other wildlife. These statutes have been very effective and any change for a single species will jeopardize their overall effectiveness including illegal take of other wildlife and hunter safety. While some have suggested hunting coyotes by moonlight, the KDFWR feels that hunting wildlife at night, with or without lights, poses significant safety risks in terms of correctly identifying the target and areas surrounding and beyond the target. We understand the desire to control coyotes in some areas, and therefore have already established liberal seasons, methods of take and an unlimited bag limit during daylight hours. We do appreciate your input and comments, but feel that these statutes are successfully serving several important functions.
    Sincerely,
    Tia,
    Tia Edwards
    Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
    Information Center
    #1 Sportsman's Lane
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    1-800-858-1549

2. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Lame(their response), that's why I go across the river to Indiana and hunt them sometimes because night hunting is legal there for coyote and fox. I understand the safety thing as far as public land, but I should be able to hunt predators at night on MY land. The excuse about poachers really gets me because a poacher is going to poach regardless of seasons, regulations, statutes, etc.

3. Yote Killer

Yote Killer Fawn

Dec 5, 2010
    Shelby Co.
    Exactly I mean it should be legal on private land and as far as the poachers, is there really any way to tell how many poachers there was in 1990 compared to now besides the one that got caught. Like you said a poacher is gonna poach no matter what. Even if there was a season for night hunting coyotes set aside just for it the game wardens could step up there game for those couple weeks or something. Id be happy with that for a start.

4. coon hunter

coon hunter Spike

Jun 15, 2008
    Brownsville KY
    My wife was at a hunter safety class one time and heard a CO say some thing about they "MIGHT" start to allow night hunting . But only with a shot Gun .

5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Not really lame. Right now there aren't too many places you can shoot deer at night with lights without getting busted. If it happens a CO can be called and they are busted. If it were legal to spotlight yotes and dozens of people did it on any given night in a particular county they would not be able to differenciate night yote hunters and night deer poachers, resulting in more successful night deer poaching.

6. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I beg to differ. I can guarantee there's plenty of places you could shoot deer at night and get away with it. There's no way to police private land where there's limited access and neighbors are far apart. That's why it should at least be legal on private land with a shotgun or even a rifle. Again, poachers ARE going to poach regardless of game laws, period. People are allowed to hunt coons at night so why shouldn't private land owners or someone with permission be allowed to hunt coyotes at night on their land?

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I agree that poachers are going to poach but night yote hunting would make it very very easy to kill many big deer in places that normally you could not. With that said night yote hunting would be a blast and help to put their population in check. But half of the bucks people kill legally and post on this site would be killed by poachers instead, (legal hunters would be less successful.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I have to agree with the state on the poaching part of the problem. Allowing that many lights in hte field would hamper both landowners and Officers. How do you diferentiate the two. Since a paocher is there to break the law he is damned sure going to use you, the legal hunter, as an excuse for his activity. I have a lot of this activuty going on around me already and htere seems to be no end in sight in these economical times.

Hunting by moonlight is possible . By limiting you to shotgun you decrease the possibility of damage to property. You also limit the range of the firearm to match visibilty conditions.During that five or so nights a month you can tell the diference in targets at those ranges. And if you can't, I dont think I would want you in the field with me anyway. This also limits the number of nights to those around hte full moon phase. Making it easier for Officers to keep track of, less work for already overworked people!!

If you the hunters are not willing to work towards an amicable solution, then you are fighting a brick wall. Jimmie

9. doubledroptine

doubledroptine Fawn

May 16, 2008
    you can tell the difference between the two by a guy carrying a 500.00 call, using a red spot light, smaller caliber rifle, probable camo, mouth calls, howlers, wind checker, remote place, and any other thing you may use. compared to the poacher in blue jeans , plain spotlight, shooting from the road or any random field, pretty easy to identify the varmint hunter to me. i am with the others on the private land, you should be able to light the coyotes. you would only use it a few seconds at a time, and it wouldn't hurt anyone or anything.

10. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    But I can go out and coon hunt all night long and use any kind of light I want. Make since to me:D

11. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    ding ding ding ding ding, we have a winner...that's what I'm saying:)

12. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    with the town hall meetings going on, i fell if someone gathered there information and presented it in a professional manor he just could get someone to listen.

13. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    sounds like to me that ky. c.o.'s aren't willing to go beyond working there 37.5 hours a week. has anyone watched WILD JUSTICE on national Geographic channel, we need c.o.'s with that work ethic. thoughs c.o.'s are unbeliveable!!! would make pouchers in ky scared to shine a flashlight in a power outage.

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I'm going to say that effort is not the issue, resources are. (in most cases)

15. coyote caller

coyote caller 6 pointer

Jan 24, 2010
    london ky
    coon hunters can do it.......... BS excuse

16. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

That is probably the most accurate statement in this thread.

17. Oscar

Oscar 6 pointer

Sep 22, 2009
    Oscar, KY
    i think the dept is so closed-minded on the issue, that they wont even try it at all. i was thinkin maybe have a 30 day season in end of feb or march, (deer loosing antlers) and have a permit you have to buy to be able to hunt. i think 100 bucks isnt out of the question for the permit, and there would be more revenue. no reason theyshouldnt try it and see.

18. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    It has been done before by a number of people, myself included. I use to hunt in Indiana a lot, they allow night hunting and have for years. I talked to a C.O. over there about it and his opinion was it was no big deal. It has been pointed out in the past to the dept. that night hunting in Indiana has been going on for a long time with no real problems. They will not change their minds no matter what logic is used. It like whipping a dead horse!!!

19. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

The light issue is not going to change at all. Because it is a major tool of the poacher. Red lense or clear it matters not.

Anyone who thinks a professional criminal isn't going to spend a few dollars on calling equipment so he or she can look legit is fooling themselves.Poaching wouldn't be so rampant if it were not financially lucrative. Word is locally they are selling off our deer herd one carcass at a time. At present they are not just panning a light for a few minutes here. Nor are they using hte roads for their dirty work. They are driving in hte fields in the early hours of hte morning. Believe me it's a pain to be awakened at 2 or 3 am and they are gone by the time you can out the door. This has happened 3 times in the last two weeks.

When we had it people broke the laws and used lights to hunt at night. They had an excuse and used it. We lost this oportunity because of this. They did not bother to read the laws on it they went out and hunted preds at night in whatever way they chose. Had this not happened we might have gotten the laws changed in hte future to allow lights. As it is we lost an oportunity given to us. Either fight for what you may be able to get or forget it. Jimmie

20. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

Make shooting a deer at night a minimum of five years in the pen.

With a heavy fine. Punish the poachers not the good guys.