Cows & deer! Do they truly affect hunting? What is your opinion?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by huntin' is my obsession, Aug 16, 2011.

1. huntin' is my obsession

huntin' is my obsession 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2009
    lexington
    How much do you think cows effect deer hunting? explain what you have noticed over the years!

I lease a smaller tract, around 50+ acres and most of the farm has a herd of cattle on it. there is a section that is fenced off that they cant get to and its the best hunting on the whole farm. if the cows werent on the farm, a cover crop could be planted on several old tobacco fields, it would increase the hunting tremendouly... im curious what i should do to increase my chances of killing a good deer!
    thanks for your insight!

2. treymac

treymac 6 pointer

Jan 4, 2010
    Morgan
    I hunt on a 465 acre farm that has about 85 head of cattle that run pretty well through the whole thing, I have killed several nice deer with cattle in the same field, but always get aggrevated when they come around, they are used to the cattle, but it seems like the deer almost follow the cattle, when the cows leave the field or area i am hunting seems like the deer start to come out, maybe coinsidence. I have a few fenced off areas that i try to grow food plots in, but the cows always find a way into it sometime during the year, and they love mineral sites, but where the cows have been salted in the same place for the past 30 years, it makes a nice spot for the deer also. I guess my answer is really a non-answer, its one of those things you almost have to just deal with unless they are your cattle.

3. TRAILMASTER

TRAILMASTER 8 pointer

Feb 12, 2004
    Nelson, Co.
  4. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    If the cattle are normaly in the field no problem. I have shot several nice deer in a field where cattle were.

5. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Cows don't seem to scare deer at all in my observation. In fact, NOTHING seems to scare deer much if they are used to it. I have seen them stand and let someone mow right by them, seen them walk by within a foot of a huge snarling, lunging dog on a chain every afternoon, ANYTHING routine. But let something out of the ordinary show up and they are on the alert. For instance, i watched deer at a feeder everyday hardly even look up as the local traffic, including school bus, and kids on foot, passed by 25 yards away in full view. But any vehicle or person going by that was strange spooked them into the woods. They would watch from the brush until the strangers left , then come back out.

6. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Use the cattle to your advantage. Walk through there poo to cover ground scent and use the noise they make to cover your own noise. The cows keep the deer from just bedding down anywhere,so they have more specific bedding areas and won't just lay around anywhere.

7. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    A farm I hunt has cattle grazed rotationally, when they are in the front, the deer are mostly in the back, when the cows are in the back, the deer leave. They are not fenced out of the woods. So yes, they do negatively impact deer use, they will eat what the deer need in the woods. Cows need some shade, not the whole woods, they simply don't get much out of it.

8. bowcrazy3

bowcrazy3 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2009
    I think deer generally avoid cattle because they don't like the movement among other things. That said I have seen deer use the same field as cattle. If you get upwind of deer, you can often walk among cattle and the deer won't pay attention to your movement. I used that to my advantage and almost got within bow range of a real nice buck one time.

9. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Times 2. I hunt a farm that has land on two sides of a major road and the cattle are rotated. The deer activity picks up almost immediately depending upon which side the cows are not on, lol, whether in stand or via my cams.

10. deerman308

deerman308 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2006
    I live and hunt on a farm with multiple herds of cattle and in my experience the deer are where ever the cattle aren't.

11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I've found the deer generally avoid the areas where the cattle frequent. They will go there, but not nearly as much as the place where the cattle either can't or wont go.

12. oak606

oak606 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2009
    deer don't mind the cattle as much its the horses they don't like...

13. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    When I was young I was told that Deer and cattle has similar eating paterns and are effected by weather patterns in the same way. They saying was..."If the cows are up, so are the deer". I have no idea if that is true. But, regardless if the cows are in the same area then there is less food for the deer. If your options are limited you just have to make it work.

14. Buschwacker

Buschwacker Fawn

Dec 16, 2010
    Cows do effect deer hunting. I have killed deer in the same a cattle but when there is no cattle more deer will be there. This spring I sold all my cattle when the price was high and have not had any cattle on my 100 acre farm all summer. I have seen more deer in the last few weeks than I have seen in an entire year when cattle grazed there. Of course this year I planted three times as much corn than I have in the past also. A few more weeks and I hope to prove this by sticking a big one.

15. huntin' is my obsession

huntin' is my obsession 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2009
    lexington
    I hate when you have cows it makes it near impossible to scout! Or put out a camera! Or corn!

16. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    Over the years it's been my experience that deer avoid cows when they can. Yes, they will be seen with them but IMO it's better without them.

17. 25-06

25-06 8 pointer

Apr 1, 2006
    I have a neighbor that has property adjoining mine and he has maybe 10-12 head of cattle. I have seen deer in the same pasture as the cattle but never too close to them...My neighbor ont he other side of my property has horses and from what I have witnessed the deer are scared to death of them!

18. I was hunting a farm with about 75 to 100 head, they don't bother the deer, but if the farmer rotates them into the field where your feeder is say bye-bye to your feeder:D

19. shoulderblock

shoulderblock 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2007
    From my experience, I agree.