Copperheads

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by N2MyWake, May 18, 2004.

1. N2MyWake

N2MyWake 10 pointer

Nov 26, 2003
    Kentucky, USA.
    What's the biggest copperhead you guys have seen? I thought they only got to be around 36 inches long. Some of my buddy's killed one that was 44 inches during turkey season, it was a big around as a beer can. This guy stepped on it and then just freaked out and beat it with his gun (I would have died on the spot!).

Western Kentucky Boy

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    42", any copperhead over 32" is BIG!

3. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    I have seen VERY few, and none have been alive. Tha last out I found was during early wood duck and teal season ran over in the road, it was around 30 inches I would say.

[​IMG]

4. superrman77

superrman77 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2004
    I think a few people mistake watersnakes for copperheads. I grew up in eastern ky and you would see some huge watersnakes and if you didnt know a copperheads characteristics you would think it was a copperhead when it was a watersnake. Growing up I caught some huge watersnakes in my minner trap.

5. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Your certainly right about that superman, however I have heard of some big copperheads. Neighbor got one with his bush hog. It was 36 inches or so, however, thats the only one I have ever saw that was over 2 feet.

6. Grant

Grant 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2003
    Crittenden County
    Superman, you hit the nail on the head there. Most people have never been taught the difference in the two.

Heres a good example, last weekend buddy ran across this snake moving some old barn tibmers. He yealed at me and told me to get over there, he had found a Copperhead. I got there and sure enought it was a water snake. Heres the pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lab

lab I'm not a people person.

What are the distinguishing differences between the two? I am sure that I have made the same mistake.

A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

8. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Here is the copperhead

http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/snake_details.cfm?snake_number=6&option=posionous

Here are water snakes.

http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/snake_details.cfm?snake_number=36&option=common_name

Notice how much the color patterns resemble each other. Copperheads are generally short and fat and if you slow down and look at the head of one you can tell its a viper, they also have a blunter tail tan the water snake. However, don't just go picking up water snakes, I would think a young coperhead could easily fool you. Water snakes are generally more aggresive, I have seen them stand their ground and fight even when not cornered, I've even seen them chase people. I've never seen a copperhead do anything but run and hide.

9. Growing up in SW Va and Eastern Ky I knew plenty about Copperheads and Rattlesnakes,we used to hunt them just to kill them back then.I went to Louisiana to work in the oilfield in the 70's and did plenty of hunting there.I never thought they had copperheads in that swampy flatland (naive I guess)anyway one day while squirrel hunting in the piney woods I sat down to watch a bushytail cutting pinecones way up,I sat there at least 10 minutes before I looked beside me in arms length was a big copperhead stretched out in the sun,scared the dickens out of me! After that I started seeing them everywhere.Moral is to look before you flop down anywhere.
    Glenn P.

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    We have over the years killed several copperheads and rattlesnakes on our farm. Biggest 2 copperheads were 41 inches long. Saw one the last 2 years on a steep hillside that we only bushhog once a year that looked bigger. He has gotten away both times but we are going to try and get him this year if he is still there.

It ain't braggin, if you can back it up.

11. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Dang , 44" copperhead? That is big enough to back a belt for even a fat boy.[8D]

12. perrymax

perrymax 8 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    I hunt and fish as much as anybody I know and I have never seen a live copperhead or rattlesnake. I know they are there but I've never seen one. I think most copperhead sightings are probobly rat snakes and water snakes.My grandfather hunts ginseng everyday and has seen lots of copperheads and rattlesnakes. He lives in Hardin Co. He says you can smell a copperhead.He said they smell like cucumbers.

I hear the,I know this guy who knows this guy who jumped into this nest of water moccosins at this certain lake story at least once a year.There's never been a kdfwr confermed sighting of a water moccosin east of Mulenberg Co.

13. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by perrymax</i>
    <br />
    I hear the,I know this guy who knows this guy who jumped into this nest of water moccosins at this certain lake story at least once a year.There's never been a kdfwr confermed sighting of a water moccosin east of Mulenberg Co.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

We got plenty of 'em over here if you'd ever like to see some. [:D]

I've seen several copperheads but nothing over what looked to be the 3' range. Had one crawl over my boot one day out of the leaf litter while turkey hunting. Thought it was a mouse until it came from under the leaves and over my boot. You talk about not moving a muscle. Not sure what I would have done had it hung a right and headed for the old pant leg. If there hadn't been a turkey hammering out in front of me he probably would have gotten swatted after he got passed.

14. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    If you want to see copperheads hunt around the rocky hillsides of Dale Hollow Lake. I have seen many there, and always see them late spring to early fall. I know exactly what all of the ky snakes are and how to tell the differences in them. Snakes are some of my favorite animals. Most of the "copperheads" in my area are hog nose snakes and young chicken/rat snakes. They hiss and have a "bigger" head than the banded water snakes. I have hunted all my life and have seen 1 rattler, hundreds of copperheads, a dozen sor so cottonmouths (mostly in west ky but one in the Gasper River in Warren County) and thousands of those poisonous copper-belly-rattle-water-moccasins that every body sees every day. Point is there are very few poison snakes and many nonpoisonous snakes. The largest copperhead I have personally seen killed in Ky was just over 36" but was torn up pretty bad by a 357 pistol. Most copperheads I have seen were less than 2' long. The largest rattler I have seen was killed by a neighbor of my dad and was 7' 4" long. The one I saw in the wild I did not measure, I quickly walked away from it. My guess 4 or 5 feet long.

James

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I was raised around Dale Hollow lake. I agree with Gates. It depends on the area you live in if there are many copperheads or rattlesnakes. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by perrymax</i>
    <br />I hunt and fish as much as anybody I know and I have never seen a live copperhead or rattlesnake. I know they are there but I've never seen one. I think most copperhead sightings are probobly rat snakes and water snakes.My grandfather hunts ginseng everyday and has seen lots of copperheads and rattlesnakes. He lives in Hardin Co. He says you can smell a copperhead.He said they smell like cucumbers.

It ain't braggin, if you can back it up.

16. harlanbuck

harlanbuck Fawn

Nov 3, 2003
    ages, ky, USA.
    turtleky, I have seen copperheads stand on their tails and fight. I had one late last summer do that and it would jump at me and try to bite me. I know it was a copperhead cause it had a heart shaped head, and it had fangs too. I have caught alot of copperheads, and have seen 3 that was really mean, so don't be fooled and think they will run. water snakes are also mean, especially when you snag one. lol.

17. bowhunter112

bowhunter112 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2003
    dullville, IN, USA.
    i think they were both copperheads but a few years back i stepped on one n heard it then it struck at my boot then i jumped back n it came at me then a 2 oz load of # 6's tore him in half then the next day i killed one in the same spot i figured it was a copperhead because of the diamond shape head and it struck at me then came towards me

18. N2MyWake

N2MyWake 10 pointer

Nov 26, 2003
    Kentucky, USA.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by superrman77</i>
    <br />I think a few people mistake watersnakes for copperheads. I grew up in eastern ky and you would see some huge watersnakes and if you didnt know a copperheads characteristics you would think it was a copperhead when it was a watersnake. Growing up I caught some huge watersnakes in my minner trap.

That's hillarious Superman, I agree with you fully. Everyone we've told about this snake has said "it's probably a banded watersnake", and then they see it...LOL Hopefully I can get some pics of it after he gets it framed.

Western Kentucky Boy

19. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

A poisonous snake such as a copperhead cottonmouth or rattler has a slanted pupil, a non poisonous snake has a round pupil.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lab-lover</i>
    <br />What are the distinguishing differences between the two? I am sure that I have made the same mistake.

A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

20. P. Beyer

P. Beyer 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Ballard Co
    A dead snake is a good snake. Whatever kind.

"It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent"

Fred Bear