Coon Hunting on Mules

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by Timber Chopper, May 7, 2008.

1. Timber Chopper

Timber Chopper Fawn

May 7, 2008
    Does anyone outhere coon hunt on mules anymore?

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 8 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    my dad did 'til he became disabled with a neck injury. that was a great mule. he knew ever trail in the woods. i rode him mushroom hunting one time and i was asking dad where a particular trail was; dad said he'll show u where its at. so, i was riding him, getting close to the trail. all at once the mule makes a left turn straight over the hill. i was like "guess we found the trail!" i miss him. dad sold him when he was no longer able to ride him. the best thing about him was he was a gaited saddle mule. he was as smooth as it gets. we won many 1st places with him in the saddle mule class. i remember many evenings seeing dad heading up the hill on that mule leading 2 hounds with a 20 ft rope tied to the horn of the saddle. again, he was a one in a lifetime find:)

3. BurleyDog

BurleyDog 10 pointer

Jul 4, 2007
    I know people who do..unfortunately I think that urban/suburban sprawl is really limiting the room to hunt off mules.

It is an art that is quickly dying I am afraid.

My dog hunts too close to warrant using a mule.

4. Timber Chopper

Timber Chopper Fawn

May 7, 2008
    Coonhunting on Mules

I have a two year old black mule philly, she is green broke. Trying to get her used to hounds and some of the sillyness out of her, hopefully she will make a desent coonhunting prospect, if not I will ride her on the trails. I have always heard from the oldtimers that hunting off of mules will make your hounds hunt alot deeper.

5. longtimegone

longtimegone 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2007
    DC
    Im afraid Mules have been replaced by "Mules".....the kawasaki kind that is.

6. Timber Chopper

Timber Chopper Fawn

May 7, 2008
    The way fuel keeps going up, corn looks alot cheaper than gasoline.;)